BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Amsoil is probably the best from what I've read. But you have to get it directly from Amsoil at $8.50 a quart + shipping.... Why not just buy BMW synyhetic 0w40 and change your oil every 5000 miles...Works for me....BTW, I don't think BMW sells 5x30 synthetic anymore...0x40 is their new "snake oil"......

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
5W40 is the new oil. Previously it was 5W30

I'm not sure you can get 0W40 from BMW. Do a search on my name in the name box and 0W40 in the other box. I posted the web link to a mercedes dealer in texas I just got 0W40 from them for $4.95 per bottle plus $4.5 shipping and I ordered 14 bottles. It took about 7 days and a couple more because UPS screwed up my delivery. I've heard Amsoil is the best but look at the cost for a millimeter of wear rating.

Hang on let me see if I can find the link... ok here:

http://www.parkplacetexas.com

click on Mercedes> then accessories> then performance. You can get Mobil 1 supersyn 0W40 from Porsche and Mercedes dealers. I'm not sure it is on retail shelves yet. You might be able to find the old formula 0W40 Mobil 1 which I heard is in a gold bottle. The stuff I have is the new formula and exceeds BMW recomendations and considered premium oil.

rvnvet said:
Amsoil is probably the best from what I've read. But you have to get it directly from Amsoil at $8.50 a quart + shipping.... Why not just buy BMW synyhetic 0w40 and change your oil every 5000 miles...Works for me....BTW, I don't think BMW sells 5x30 synthetic anymore...0x40 is their new "snake oil"......

·
Registered
129 Posts
You want the best, go with Redline Fluids for everything!

at this website...http://autochic.com/redline/index.html

Redline sells all kinds of types, depending on how modified your car is. Everything from factory spec 5W30 to super modified racing engines who need really thick stuff like SAE 70 (similar to non-race 25W70.)

Everybody claims to make a great synthetic oil, but how many actually get used on the track in cars that win, vs. everyday drivers that whine!

And don't wait until 15K to change it, do it at least every 7,500 if you drive like a granny and every 3,500 - 5,000 if you don't.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK

The Mobil1 0W40 is available at my local Autozone for 5 bucks a qt. I checked the bottle (I couldn't remember if it was 5W40 or 0W40). I can even post a pic if you want. :). It's the SuperSyn European formula. Good stuff.
:thumbup:

Oh, I'm near Severna Park, Md. Ask at your local store, get them to order it!

·
^_^
1,507 Posts
Excuse my ignorance. But my BMW tech just told me to always use as recommended (5W-30). Especially if the car's new, you don't need to put ones with higher range (e.g. 0-40, 0-50) yet. So I've tried both Mobil 1 and Castrol. Seems like Castrol 5-30 is giving me a quieter and smoother ride so far.

·
Registered
54 Posts
rvnvet said:
Amsoil's not THAT expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts