BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a lurker, sorry for this being one of my first posts. but i have a small situation. my current car is a 02 steel Grey 325ci, black interior, premium with heated seats and HK sound. the only thing i really don't like in the car i just can't get used to driving a auto when I'm so used to manuals. and the car just feels very sluggish being a 325 auto.

here is the situation, my brother comes home from work and tells me one of the local dealerships got a trade in on a steel grey 02 330ci with a manual. i go and look at it and it is a twin of the current car I'm driving but it is a 330 with a 5sp. my current miles is just less then 120k the 330 has 80k.

i owe just slightly more then what this car is worth in street valve, around 10k. i talked to one of the salesmen after hours and they asked what i thought about 14,500 i told them i'll think on it and come back during store hours.

so in about 8 hrs im going to go drive it and see what i think.

problem, i don't want to end up paying for a m3 after this is all said and done with, my guess they will only give 6k if im lucky for a trade in if they accept it. now i have to get the loan extended approx 4-7k and im looking at 15-18k in loan, i can go pick up much better car for that money. does any one have some insight on how to make this happen if i like it alot more. i know i could probably just sell my car for 8k but most people don't buy these types of cars especially right before snow. then get a loan for aprox 12k and not completely loose.

i was originally going to eventually swap it, but the trans and engine swap would run me aprox 3.5-4k depending on what route. it would not be a bmw driveline.

anywho just wondered what people thought of the situation.

p.s i really want to get into autox, but i think the auto just lacks in response, I've never done autox but any ever attempt it. is there anything i can due to the auto to help response ex shifting, holding gears, when it down shifts and so forth..or am i stuck with factory shifting. I'm not looking to make a race car, my rx7 is the car i modify. i just want something just a touch more in case i want to auto x

thanks in advance
cameron

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
$14.5 sounds high for an 02 330ci with manual and 80K miles. Check autotrader and ebay for alternatives. I have owned a 330i and several 325s and the 330i has significantly more power. It would cost a lot of money to put a manual and a 330i or larger motor into your car. If you can swap cars for about $3K or slightly more it would make more sense than possibly paying $5k or more unless you get a much newer E46 with a lot less miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for responses, im looking at the dinan stuff now, they are local thank goodness.

edit: i know the performance of the cars are somewhat similar. but will a few computer changes make the car feel less sluggish. any more discussion would be great. i work nights in the U.S, so im not losing sleep over this lol.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
$14.5 is definitely too much for an 02 330 with 80K. If you can get them to take your car plus $3K I would do it, anything more you are better off selling yours for $7-8k and buying a 330 manual outright. You can find, good clean examples for $10k these days.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Best case scenario you are looking at a spread of $3500 to $4000 plus tax assuming you can sell your car for approx $8000 and you can get the dealer down to approx $12,000. So you are going to have to decide if $4,000 grand is worth it for what you want. Personally, I think it is money better spent to get a factory 330 with manual and 80k then converting your 325 with 120k

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That $14.5 price is too high and you are paying a premium to drop one car off and drive away in another. I would sell your present vehicle and then look for a better deal. Tell the salesman that and see if he budges on his price, if not simply walk away.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'll back others here and say the price is too high. I bought my '04 325ci with less miles more that a year and a half ago for less than $14.5...

Like the others have said, it isn't worth the effort to try and swap anything into your car so definately look to trade it in or sell outright.

Just like you mentioned, the beginning of winter is not a great time for selling YOUR car...well it won't be a good time for the dealership either. This means you should be able to talk them into a fair price that will not hurt you too bad considering trade in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts