BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 5 month old Jet Black 330 CiC. I picked up a bunch of these blue towels which I thought were microfiber from Walmart the week I bought my car. I was turned onto these towels by a detail guy in my area who also told me about Meguiars quick detail. Quite often when the car gets just a little bit dirty, I get out the Meguiars and my "Microfiber" towels and clean the entire car in about 10 min or so. Also, when it rains, I towel off the entire car with these towels and things look pretty good. I would say in 5 months I have actuallly washed the car with soap and the garden hose maybe only 3 times.

My problem is that I have tons of swirls and scratches. Are my towels causing this ??? Maybe the Meguiars on a dirty car along with the towels scrubbing dirt into the paint ??? Maybe the constant toweling off the car after a rain ??? Any input would be great. MY idea is to have the car buffed out by an expert and then I need to know what I should do and what not to do from now on. THanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
well, first of all, its really not good to wipe a car down with a towel if its dirty... that just rubs small pieces of dust, rocks, etc all over the paint which causes the swirls in the paint. if youre that concerned about getting dust off the car use one of those "california dusters" which doesnt put pressure on the car when it wipes the dust off. my methods of cleaning my car are basic washes every friday and then about 2 times a month i give it a fresh wax. those towels you got are detailing towels... not cleaning towels so theyre VERY good at removing wax when detailing your car.

in regards to the swirls... just pick up a nice bottle of wax and detail the car (WASH BEFORE YOU WAX!!!) which should take out most of the swirls... and try to keep from rubbing a dirty car with towels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks, but, what do u mean the towels I have are "detailing towels and not cleaning towels " ??

Thanks

·
Registered
588 Posts
R1man1963 said:
ok thanks, but, what do u mean the towels I have are "detailing towels and not cleaning towels " ??

Thanks
sorry i didnt make that too clear... i mean that for just everyday cleaning you dont want to use a towel on the dirty surface. the towels are mainly designed for finishing details on the car (i.e. wax and cleaning windows since they dont streak). just be careful when you wipe down a dirty car with anything... when mine gets dirty i wont touch the paint with one finger until i wash it (im very anal about keeping my car shiny). definately sounds like you need a fresh waxing though. good luck! :thumbup:

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you QD after a rain storm or after half a week or so, your going to develop some significant amounts of dirt. I would use Poorboy's Spray and Wipe (waterless wash thats works, its proven). Also I'm guessing you haven't cleaned those microfibers you bought. They aren't the best at all, just low to mid range quality. Meguiars QUik Detailer is really good for claying and just touchup, but not at all for low to mid dirt build up. As LewDog said, your scratching your car.

You should use a polish then wax it. Waxing will just cover the swirls.

·
Registered
616 Posts
On my JB coupe if I can't handle the dust etc. I just stop at one of those spray car washes and spray it down with the spotless rinse. It's low pressure and doesn't spot much which makes the car look good and me feel better about the appearance! I don't use the high pressure at all except the wheels. I also wash once a week and use Quik Detailer only right after a wash. I wax every other month or so and clay bar and glaze twice a year. I've owned several black cars and this has worked for over the last 20 or so years.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I am in the same situation as you, 4 month old Jet Balck Sedan. I have had to deal with minor swirl marks from car wash brushes. Makes th car look like crap. However I use Meguiars #6 Cleaner and wax, one maybe two applications to get rid of the swirls and top it off with #7 Show car glaze, the more glaze you put on the better the protection, I have done two to three coats in the past. Have done this twice with my car always comes out looking great. Meguiars also has some swirl mark remover products that I have never tried but I am sure they are quality products. Also get yourself an Absorber to dry your car with they are awesome.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Soooo much misinformation here :tsk:

Wax will not take away swirl marks.

You'll need a buffer, 3m finese it II, and some nice high quality towels.

First wash the car WITH SOAP AND WATER, not just going over the car with quick detailer. Dry the car with a waffle weave MF towel or The Abosorber. Then use the buffer and the 3m FI2. After you have gone over the car with FI2, the car should be almost swirl/scratch free. If not, go over it again. After youre satisfied, put a coat of either S100/P21S or Klasse Sealent glaze.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You are correct wax will not get rid of swirl marks. That is why I suggested a cleaner. Cleaners are similar to a rubbing compounds in that they are slightly abbrassive. A light cleaner will help get rid of minor swirl marks.

·
Banned
207 Posts
bgsmith said:
You are correct wax will not get rid of swirl marks. That is why I suggested a cleaner. Cleaners are similar to a rubbing compounds in that they are slightly abbrassive. A light cleaner will help get rid of minor swirl marks.
Missed your reply.

But cleaners are not as abrassive as a swirl remover, they will be able to remove some minor swirls and scratches, but probably won't be enough for what the thread starter needs by reading his description of what he has already done to the paint. :shhh:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Meguiars swirl remover worked very well for me. Klasse AIO and SG is a great top coat IMO--especially for winter. I love my black 3er but quickly learned the most important lesson. DO NOT EVER TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH. Even the so-called soft brush ones will scratch and swirl the hell out of your paint. :cry:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
would u guys also suggest that I not pull into my garage and wipe it down with a towel after a rain ? I mean unless I just washed it, I assume there is some amount of dirt on the car even though the rain might wash some of it off ??

·
Banned
207 Posts
R1man1963 said:
would u guys also suggest that I not pull into my garage and wipe it down with a towel after a rain ? I mean unless I just washed it, I assume there is some amount of dirt on the car even though the rain might wash some of it off ??
Because there is a ton of dirt that you probably can't see when the car is wet. Use a towel to dry the car, dragging dirt particles around with the towel = light scratches and swirl marks.

If you are that concerend, why not just not drive your car when it rains, or wash it with soap and water before pulling into your garage to dry the car?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Another thing that was not mentioned is when you wash rinse or run the water all over the paint several times to remove as much of the dirt and debris before you even touch it with a wash mitt etc.. Washing a dirty dusty car can also scratch it. I've never taken any black car to any brush carwash. I've seen firsthand the damage they do. Never use those with a dark colored car.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Let me Zaino your car. I did this all summer long and am actually in DC for the semester with all my equipment with me. I'd be willing to come to you so long as you're near a metro stop since I don't have my car here.

If you're interested... I can send you a pic of a black M3 I did which was relatively new with no swirls to speak of and a pic of a previously HEAVILY swirled 330Ci that, when it rolled out of my driveway, looked brand spankin new!

If you want to do it yourself... get Zaino. Get all of the products and do the entire process. The swirls will be absolutely GONE. And I mean GONE.

www.zainobros.com
ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7

Also, for waxing, stick to microfiber products only. And not the cheap stuff you get at Walmart. As for washing, stick to 100% cotton towels. The loops of the towels will pull dirt in and keep that from swirling up your car. You can use microfiber products for washing purposes also but that might be getting a bit too expensive to be doing washes AND waxes with JUST microfiber stuff.

·
booo for body roll.
3,435 Posts
i didnt have a good experience with zaino.

swirl marks are still there
and also minute scratches from the applicator pad.

you can see in sunlight how i applied it. like, on the doors i did vertically, and you'll see the marks from the applicator pad. i think ill buy a polisher.

·
Registered
119 Posts
As much as i love Zaino it will not "remove" any swirls, z5 will attempt to fill and hide swirls but is not very effective IMHO.

If you are interested in removing them, get yourself a porter cable 7424 polisher and a good quality polish (3m,1z,Menzerna,Poor Boys) and remove them that way. It is actually very easy and very rewarding.

E

1 - 20 of 29 Posts