BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After polishing, I did remove some swirlmarks but I do see that some of the deeper ones...are there any ways to remove those too?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
the only way to remove is to dig even deeper.. i would not advise this becuase you can remove your clearcoat doing more harm than good

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh?

What do u mean by digging deeper? Do you mean that I should polish the car harder?

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
try these things

first try zaino bro's number z5 it is polish for swirl marks and
fine scratches. if that does not work i say strip your car down with dawn dish water soap. that will strip your car down to the body. will take off all the wax and clear coats on your car. then

you can put a few layers of wax on your car and it will be as good as new.

if you are good with your hands you can clay your car after you used the dawn to. that will get all the inperfections off your car.then wax . but if you never clay before i would let a prof. do it
first so you can see how it is done for next time. their is a trick when you clay to get a nice even feel to claying. if you do it
right it will feel like glass.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
You certainly don't need to be a pro to clay your car! It's easy, just follow the directions and use care.

And what do you meanby polishing? Did you use a buffer or do it by hand or what? And what kind of polish did you use?

·
First 19" ZHP
1,437 Posts
if you use your hands to polish the car try using a buffer and if it doesnt work then go with the dawn, clay, wax method

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^

I used Z5 which is for swirls and I polished by hand. By buffer do you mean an orbital buffer that you can get at k-mart and Target? I heard that it is not good cause Zaino brothers says that the polishing motion should be straight up and down or left to right. I am mostly satisfied with the polish other than the hood cause it just didn't remove the swirls that I wanted to.

If I use dawn wash, does that mean I am taking off the clearcoat entirely? Isn't that bad for the paint?

·
The Whirlwind
472 Posts
How are swirls caused exactly?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also

I found that near the driver's side chrome trim, there is sort of a haze formed on top of the paint and the haze is not from the polish and I tried rubbing it but it is not removable. I read somewhere regarding something called "orange peel", is that what it is? Anybody know how I can remove it or fix it?

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
Dawn does not remove the clearcoat, it just removes whatever waxes or polishes are on your car. If you removed the clearcoat, then your car would be dull paint. Its the clearcoat that makes the paint appear shiny.

Claying the car gives the surface a smoother feel because it removes surface imperfections and any "high spots." Clay may remove some swirls, but if the paint is very swirled, then you will need use a combination of a scratch remover and an orbital buffer. The combination of these two will "cut" into the finish and remove the swirled layers.

Also, Z5 is a great product, but if the finish is heavily swirled, Z5 will not fill these swirls in. Its like an ugly girl with alot of acne trying to cover it with lots of makeup.

·
Registered
214 Posts
TaiFong said:
How are swirls caused exactly?
By washing and drying in circles with an abrasive cloth or mitt. You are supposed to wash your car in the same manner as if you were the wind blowing over your car......straight lines from front to back. Dry it the same way.

And don't put alot of pressure into your strokes when you wash your car.

·
SBBMotorwerks
557 Posts
Orange peel effect: the paint has a "texture" to it similar to an orange peel. If you look at your reflection in the paint, it is not mirror smooth, it is slightly distorted....like an orange peel.

·
The Whirlwind
472 Posts
Anonymous_FTP said:

By washing and drying in circles with an abrasive cloth or mitt. You are supposed to wash your car in the same manner as if you were the wind blowing over your car......straight lines from front to back. Dry it the same way.

And don't put alot of pressure into your strokes when you wash your car.
I don't have a dark car, but still, sometimes there are spots of dirt that you can't get off by rubbing lightly. You can't always see these when the car is covered with soap, so I guess a good amount of pressure is ok, but not excessive, correct?

·
Registered
214 Posts
TaiFong said:

I don't have a dark car, but still, sometimes there are spots of dirt that you can't get off by rubbing lightly. You can't always see these when the car is covered with soap, so I guess a good amount of pressure is ok, but not excessive, correct?
Exactly. Use pressure only when necessary. That's why I rinse my car off really really good to loosen up all the debris.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thais0n said:
Orange peel effect: the paint has a "texture" to it similar to an orange peel. If you look at your reflection in the paint, it is not mirror smooth, it is slightly distorted....like an orange peel.
Well, it is not smooth and looks dull as well (like the hazing occured during polishing but it is not removable), so I guess it is not the orange peel effect. But is my clearcoat gone or what?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, but

bimmer said:

Well, it is not smooth and looks dull as well (like the hazing occured during polishing but it is not removable), so I guess it is not the orange peel effect. But is my clearcoat gone or what?
I guess the swirlmarks question is kind of solved. but can anybody help me on the part next to the chrome window trim that I mentioned above?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Swirlmarks still visible

If you want to get rid of all swirlmarks than you need to get some 2000 grit sand paper and sand the swirl marks out don't worry the sandpaper will not and almost never break thru the clearcoat.
Once you have done this wipe it down and buff to a shine then polish but yes A buffer machine works alot better, I only say that nothing works better than 3M Perfect III rubbing compound and then use foam polishing liquid with a foam pad.

And that is how a proffessional would do it :thumbup: :thumbup: :pimpin:

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
the wash mitts works great for me, you can scrub rough, and it's still gentle to your car's clear coat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts