BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in purchasing sway bars for my car, but I have just one question. Is it better to get both front and rear sway bars as a package, or order just a front or just a rear one? Also any suggestions on good bars? Thanks so much.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
as a package.
if you buy mismatched bars you can get some unpredictable handling. it could also come out costing a lot more.

not all swaybars are for everyone. depends what you want.
with that said, one of the best bars out are the H-Sport/Hotchkis bars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks so much. I wish I could get the hotchkis bars but the rear bar does not fit on vert models :bawling:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Get both front and rear. Best options are Hotchkis or H&R.

Edit: Hotchkis claims they *may* not fit convertibles. You could always give Turner Motorsport a call and ask about the H&R sways.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendation. The H&R bars seem like a good fit for me.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
yes with your convertible and that extra X brace at the spare tire well it has it's clearance problems. you'll want something smaller than the Hotchkis which are some of the largest(but they are hollow which doesn't add the weight).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the advise. So there is no difference between the H&R bars and the Turner Bars?

·
Vendor
13,153 Posts
Its a good idea to replace them both from a $$ stand point.

If you are interested in H&R bars we have their entire catalog available on our site, as well as UUC Motorwerks.

You can find their sway bars for your exact E46 below...

Click HERE for more information.'

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
H&R and Eibach are drop in replacements. They are TUV approved and thus won't cause any damage or need modifications. They are also smaller bars. For a street performance standpoint this is good. You don't need to maintain them. With bars like UUC and Hotchkis they need to be re-greased from time to time. The H&R supply teflon bushing so they never need to be greased. Add that they are smaller and shouldn't have any fitment issue on your cabrio you should be good. But if you didn't have the cabrio and wanted the bars that bring the biggest gains/features and maybe even tracked the car now and then. I would suggest the Hotchkis or the UUC before the others. You do give up somethings for the things you gain. Thats why I said before, "it depends what you want" to gain and willing to give up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry to bring back up an old thread, but I'm getting ready to order sway bars tonight. I have and 01' 330ci with the sport suspension but it's been lowered. Doing the racelands and upgrading my sway bars, but it is a daily driver. Should I go with the Hotckhis, UUC, or TMS? I like spirited driving and taking turns quick and what not but I don't want something I'd have to maintain but still want better handling, UUC seems like a happy medium...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
Sorry to bring back up an old thread, but I'm getting ready to order sway bars tonight. I have and 01' 330ci with the sport suspension but it's been lowered. Doing the racelands and upgrading my sway bars, but it is a daily driver. Should I go with the Hotckhis, UUC, or TMS? I like spirited driving and taking turns quick and what not but I don't want something I'd have to maintain but still want better handling, UUC seems like a happy medium...
well first i wouldn't buy the racelands, i doubt their springs are even shot peened or in tolerance(when compressed) with the other spring it's paired with. but that's a whole other topic.
for what you said you want (and don't want), I'd get the Turner Motorsport (TMS) which are H&R bars. install and nothing to adjust like links and regrease. if you think down the line you might wish you got the best bars, or you might track. then get the Hotchkis.

·
Registered
259 Posts
well first i wouldn't buy the racelands, i doubt their springs are even shot peened or in tolerance(when compressed) with the other spring it's paired with. but that's a whole other topic.
for what you said you want (and don't want), I'd get the Turner Motorsport (TMS) which are H&R bars. install and nothing to adjust like links and regrease. if you think down the line you might wish you got the best bars, or you might track. then get the Hotchkis.
I plan on getting the Bilstein sport shocks for the rears, if that's what you mean?

And I ordered front adjustable end links, to go along with the Racelands, and I was going to buy my friends adjustable rear links (same as the ones in the UUC kit). So I was planning on having to do some adjusting.

Does your suggestion for the TMS bars still stand based on that? I don't mind that at all, they were actually my first option and they would save me money but I read UUC's page and it made me think maybe I need different thickness bars from the TMS bars...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
I plan on getting the Bilstein sport shocks for the rears, if that's what you mean?

And I ordered front adjustable end links, to go along with the Racelands, and I was going to buy my friends adjustable rear links (same as the ones in the UUC kit). So I was planning on having to do some adjusting.

Does your suggestion for the TMS bars still stand based on that? I don't mind that at all, they were actually my first option and they would save me money but I read UUC's page and it made me think maybe I need different thickness bars from the TMS bars...
I would NOT mix and match dampeners(shocks/struts). This can cause the car to really handle unpredictable. Just so you know. Especially after its being worked and the fronts are hot and shot and the rears are nice and ready to perform still. And I don't think the racelands would ever compare to the Bilsteins even at their best performance.

I have the UUC bars. They are good, but take some dialing in, and they aren't quiet/clink free. And the bushings and links need to be adjusted and re-greased or you'll get some noises. The bushings are urethane. The H&R are basically drop-in and enjoy. They have nice teflon bushings and nowhere near the noise you may get with the UUC. But they aren't as big as the UUC or Hotchkis. So you have to give some things up to get something back.
So it's not so much a clear winner, each bring to the table their own benefits. it's up to you which fits you. Me it was the UUC, and next to move on to the Hotchkis. But for others it's moving away from Hotchkis/UUC and over to the H&R. Since you are going to racelands which will degrade your ride quality, I doubt the UUC or Hotchkis would be causing any more issues.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not trying to get off topic, but what don't you like about the racelands? From what I hear, for the price you can't beat them. I'd rather not spend $1k+ for coilovers and I need new shocks/struts... Feel free to PM me if you don't mind and have some time?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts