BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... the M43 gave up... took it's beating, and then fell on it's face...

did take a good beating though...

I will be posting pictures of the stuff i've gathered for my swap later, but i wanted to ask if someone knows of a good writeup to learn from...

Thanks in advance,

Motor comes from car with VIN:
WBADN11090GD94869

Transplant car has VIN:
WBAAL11010JN10137

Jolly times ahead :D

So, here are some pictures for you guys...

This is the organ receiver, some junkie bastards broke into it as it was sitting outside my friends garage in Reykjavík, will be getting flared fenders and a new painjob..

Too bad they got my DEPO headlights, but this is how it looks like now... already took out that M43 POS:

Car itself:

And here is the glory stuff:

This is a M62B35TU motor, from a 535i E39 i used to own...

I sold the car and still miss it, fully serviced and maintained... next owner pampered it and then sold it on to some prick that treated it like **** and ended up destroying it...

I got the motor from the crash car but the "prick" had already parted out the transmission, flywheel and clutch...

So i will be using a M50 adapter plate and a ZF transmission from a E46 325i, will be rebuilding the transmission prior to install... Clutch is a Stage II of some cheap brand, hope it will hold up...

I have already figured out how to have the throttle actuators work, and i can see where installing the ECU and DME electrics will be easy since the E46 is sharing the same electrics as the E39, electrics will plug in on the drivers side here instead of the passenger side on E39... seems like all the plugs will plug up..

If anyone has swapped a M62TU into a E46... all info would be greatly appreciated...

Oh, and car will get a new paintjob in the coming days...

Reinorange, black top and hood...

·
Registered
25 Posts
custom engine mounts and crossmember are required, so the sump clears the steering rack. use the mounts that the guys who do m62's into e30's and modify your crossmember to suit. i'm 1/4 way through doing this myself. just with the m62b44. you'll want a diff in there as well.
i haven't found a write up for this swap yet, most people think its pointless unless you go s62. but obviously we don't all have the money for that.
try contacting this guy. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NleX-FziazA

·
Registered
103,546 Posts
Might be interesting. Good luck.
Subscribed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
S62 might go in there later, nobody seems to understand that swapping a M62TU in there will make a S62 swap near plug and play ;)

BUT, i think this M62TU is a "helluva" motor, it would do 13.9 ETs in my E39 back when i had it... and the only mod it had was a M5 differential, came with the 5gang from factory..

in a car that's 300lbs lighter should be interesting... will it put me in M3 territory, that's the question...

and don't forget that V8 grunt...

I already figured how to modify the front subframe, i will have to move the steering rack a bit back, seems like the exhaust will clear as it's a M62TU and not the M62/S62 headers...

I think you guys will like how i solved the motor-mount issue, might fabricate a couple and sell if anyone is interested.... will of course document everything very carefully...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I can understand wanting to put an M62 in the car, but I just don't think the 3.5L M62 is a good choice. Depending on the exact model year, its 232-241 hp and 236-254 lb-ft of torque. These numbers are not much better than an M54B30, and for 2 of the 3 possible versions have slightly less or exactly the same hp as a ZHP. Doing a bit more research, the 3.5L M62 appears to weigh about 100lbs more than the M54B30. Given the extra weight the M62 brings to the table, I would doubt its any faster than a 330i, unless you are going to do some work on the engine to get some more power from it. The larger M62's weight only slightly more(~4lbs), but yield a minimum of 60 hp and 90 lb-ft more than an M54B30.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
OP, If you have means and will to do it, DO IT.
It would be interesting to see the transformation of a 4 cyl to an 8 cylinder car.
It will have more than twice the power your car originally had. A euro s54 will give you 3 times the power your car was making.
Its all upto you how much work you want to put on it. I like the idea of a v8 though(and you already have the engine).

Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
neither the S54 nor the M54B30 will make the low-end grunt the M62B35TU will make, this is intended as a "mock-up" for a later S62 transformation...

I live in Iceland and it's not that easy to obtain a S54 here, i have this M62TU laying around so why not use it?

I think it's a great way to prepare the car for a BOLT IN S62...

·
Registered
186 Posts
neither the S54 nor the M54B30 will make the low-end grunt the M62B35TU will make, this is intended as a "mock-up" for a later S62 transformation...

I live in Iceland and it's not that easy to obtain a S54 here, i have this M62TU laying around so why not use it?

I think it's a great way to prepare the car for a BOLT IN S62...
Well then, if the end-game is an S62, by all means, good move.

·
Registered
13,880 Posts
I did not know the 735i was a V8 with 235 hp. The Transporter makes a lot more sense now.

Also, I REALLY want to see an S62 in an E46. That would be so sick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I did not know the 735i was a V8 with 235 hp. The Transporter makes a lot more sense now.

Also, I REALLY want to see an S62 in an E46. That would be so sick.
The motor i'm using actually came from a 11/2002 E39 i had...

I miss that car every day.... with a M5 diff, it was a BEAST!

I've had a series of BMWs... ranging from E30 325i to E60 530d... and even a couple of M5s.... two E34 M5 and one E39 M5... almost a E60 M5 recently, but the seller pulled out for a better deal :) but someday...

So as you may understand now, i'm not new to the term POWER...

I will be posting pictures of the new paintjob after new years, i had to obtain a new trunk lid since the burglars destroyed my old one... so painting gets postponed past new-years...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
custom engine mounts and crossmember are required, so the sump clears the steering rack. use the mounts that the guys who do m62's into e30's and modify your crossmember to suit. i'm 1/4 way through doing this myself. just with the m62b44. you'll want a diff in there as well.
i haven't found a write up for this swap yet, most people think its pointless unless you go s62. but obviously we don't all have the money for that.
try contacting this guy. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NleX-FziazA

This guy has a M62B44 non TU, and drive by cable....

I am swapping a M62B35TU, drive by wire & some more complicated stuff...

but i've seen this guy around on youtube just never that video...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you guys will like how i solved the motor-mount issue, might fabricate a couple and sell if anyone is interested.... will of course document everything very carefully...
any info for us as to what you are doing mount wise then?

also your 5 looked stunning, shame to hear someone wrecked it, although would you be doing this if they hadn't?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beleive me, i'd rather have my old 5 than a E46.... the E39 is hands down the best BMW i've had ;)

It had 200.000km on it but it was as tight as new... no sqeaks or rattles, 100% Service book, all had been maintained well...

But i'm looking to do some real cool stuff with the E46...

I'm going to be losing the Sway bar and where the sway-bar used to be there will be motor mounts bolted right up...

You will see soon enough, currently working on making a spacer to use the flywheel off a M54B30 work on the M62B35..

·
Registered
238 Posts
A swap thread that starts off with a full blown plan and parts. This is how its done, I will be watching.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts