E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's up guys. So I've got a great opportunity to pick up a clean 323ci for a danm good price :thumbsup:, with that being said, it's got a blown head gasket and the 2nd gear synchro is out. If I'm picking the car for for under 1k, should I get the motor and tranny rebuilt, or should/could I swap the whole thing...I was thinking 1jz or a 5.0 or possibly a s54 swap....if I plan on reselling the car, regardless what motor's in it, which would be more enticing for a potential buyer and more cost effective for me?

Here's a picture of the car, cosmetically the guy converted it to an M3, for the most part.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,969 Posts
I'd check if the rear subframe floor area isn't cracked too. That's not uncommon on the 2000 323ci.
Probably 328 would be the easiest engine to put in and get most resale from for the buck. Otherwise after that maybe a 330, but more work. Unless you know what you're doing I would not waste on an S54 swap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd check if the rear subframe floor area isn't cracked too. That's not uncommon on the 2000 323ci.
Probably 328 would be the easiest engine to put in and get most resale from for the buck. Otherwise after that maybe a 330, but more work. Unless you know what you're doing I would not waste on an S54 swap.
Do you have an idea on how much a 328 swap would cost?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Do you have an idea on how much a 328 swap would cost?
I just did a swap in my 323i, I just swapped the block because the head is the same. The engine put together cost me $1500.00, labor was $900.00. Therefore under $2500.00 to complete the job.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That's not bad at all. Who did your install?
A friend of mine owns a shop called Ecoformance Autohaus in Norfolk, VA...

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're doing a swap, do something worth it!

2JZ!
This x2! ... Look how much money m3 owners (like me) have to spend to come close to 1/2 of the performance you could get out of a single turbo 2jz... For 5k you can buy a decent 2jz with a small turbo, get a decent electronics setup (ecu/turbo timer/boost controller), a simple blow off valve, ok (functional) intercooler, and walk all over any non-hpf bmw-engined car any day of the week!

Do it!

Ps- supraforums will be a helpful starting point for locating the 2jz

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.