BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got a 00’ 328 sitting in the drive way for a few years in the need of an engine.
Here’s my post when it all went down ..

E46: Death of an M52
https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1178249

So Basicly I’m not trying to get rid of it, I’d really like to get it running again so I’ve gotta few questions on engine options. For one, which ones are compatible. I’d defiantly like to upgrade to a 3.0. But what else would fit. ??
Also I need to push this along so I’m just going to dive in it. I’ve got pretty basic mechanical skill and assisted on a couple engine swaps. But never on my own. Dose any one have any tips or advice. Maybe a detailed procedure to read up on? Will I need any special tools? And during installation, is it just plug in and play? What’s this I hear of flashing the DME? Can I do it myself? And how? I’ve also considered swapping the tranny with a 6 speed manual. Can this be easily done? Which fit? And what other new parts will I bead for the modification!i appreciate any knowledge any one can pass I’ll keep posting if progress begins. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I haven't done it, but I believe you can upgrade to an M54 3.0 engine. You would likely have to use the B28 intake, manifold, throttle body, which will reduce some of your power gains.

IMO you are definitely better off finding a good used M52TUB28 (like the one you have) and swapping it in.
- easy plug and play
- better power (HP/ torque) than the M54B25
- much fewer problems with oil consumption...most used M54B30's consume a lot of oil these days due to a bad ring design

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I think your right. I’ve put it off this long for a swap I can’t imagine I’d get it done any sooner if I made it more complicated

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

1 - 3 of 3 Posts