BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently figured out that my suspension needs a good refresh. I have a 2002 325I and the front left is sagging, the tie rods seem to be shot, it's bouncy when pushed on the hood, I have a bad wheel wobble, and a suspension that's making clunking noises. I've looked into some options, and for me it comes down to price. I could either get coil overs (Street Edge Coilover Kit 99-06 BMW E46 323/325/328/330 2WD Coilovers | eBay), some miscellaneous pieces (such as mounts reinforcement plates dust coverings rear bumps ands screws), and tie rods. Or I could get all new stock suspension all around and throw on some lowering springs (Bavarian Autosport Performance Springs - Set of 4) . This second option is a little cheaper but I'm not sure which way I should go. Is there possibly any cheaper options?

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
188 Posts
Generally cheap coilovers are garbage, I wouldn't recommend them. I'm not sure if the durability of Sachs dampers has gotten better since these cars were new, but I've heard that OE struts/shocks go bad relatively quickly. I have Bilstein B4 (Touring) on my car, you can't go wrong with those.

Also, you don't need to buy the assembly kit, many of those parts can be reused. All you really need are front strut and rear shock mounts, and the strut and shocks themselves, you can reuse the springs, spring pads, and everything else.

Also since you mention you have other issues, you should not only check your tie rods, but FCA ball joints and FCABs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally cheap coilovers are garbage, I wouldn't recommend them. I'm not sure if the durability of Sachs dampers has gotten better since these cars were new, but I've heard that OE struts/shocks go bad relatively quickly. I have Bilstein B4 (Touring) on my car, you can't go wrong with those.

Also, you don't need to buy the assembly kit, many of those parts can be reused. All you really need are front strut and rear shock mounts, and the strut and shocks themselves, you can reuse the springs, spring pads, and everything else.

Also since you mention you have other issues, you should not only check your tie rods, but FCA ball joints and FCABs.
Thanks for the quick response! I think one of my springs are broken, or really worn. Which was why I was thinking I could go with some lowering springs. And I also believe my strut mounts are going bad. So I at least need new mounts. Are you sure I can use the spring pads and everything else again?

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
188 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! I think one of my springs are broken, or really worn. Which was why I was thinking I could go with some lowering springs. And I also believe my strut mounts are going bad. So I at least need new mounts. Are you sure I can use the spring pads and everything else again?
If your spring is broken and you don't care too much about lowering your car, you could try kijiji/craigslist or local junk yards. But if you do want to upgrade that is a good enough reason to go with lowering springs. However, if you want to use lowering springs you will need to pair that with an upgraded damper, as using lowering springs on OE-replacement dampers can wear them out quicker. One of the more expensive Bilstein (the yellow ones) or Koni dampers would do well with lowering springs.

Yes, usually you can use everything else again, but to be safe you could take your wheels off to inspect your bump stops - sometimes those get a bit crumbly after so many years. FWIW when I refreshed my suspension, all I did were strut/shock mounts and the strut/shocks themselves, everything else was reused.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your spring is broken and you don't care too much about lowering your car, you could try kijiji/craigslist or local junk yards. But if you do want to upgrade that is a good enough reason to go with lowering springs. However, if you want to use lowering springs you will need to pair that with an upgraded damper, as using lowering springs on OE-replacement dampers can wear them out quicker. One of the more expensive Bilstein (the yellow ones) or Koni dampers would do well with lowering springs.

Yes, usually you can use everything else again, but to be safe you could take your wheels off to inspect your bump stops - sometimes those get a bit crumbly after so many years. FWIW when I refreshed my suspension, all I did were strut/shock mounts and the strut/shocks themselves, everything else was reused.
So bump stops and dampeners to be safe. Sweet, I’ll definitely look into it and keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I ended up going a completely different route and bought a set of racing edge coil overs from the suspension source, tie rods, reinforcement plates for the front and back, and new bump stops. They seem to have some good reviews for the racing edge coil overs on here and I heard that the suspension source Has great customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts