E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on refreshing my suspension over this winter. i found this kit from ecstuning:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330xi-M54_3.0L/Suspension/OEM/Rebuild_Kit/ES2501050/

I would plan on using this kit (genuine bmw) over the other kit they have which uses a combination of aftermarket parts. I would also get a new steering knuckle and koni yellows with eibach springs. this should completely refresh/upgrade my suspension. the only thing that sucks is its going to run me about $2500 if i do the installation myself. i heard ecs is flexible with their kits and i may ask them to leave out a few bushings so i can upgrade to powerflex bushings. any other parts you guys would suggest replacing? and is the z3 reinforcement plate that they list a rear subframe reinforcement kit? because i have an XI and absolutely no rear subframe damage so if it will cut costs a bit i may leave that out as well.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
maybe look to replace all the bushings with powerflex bushings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
.. just noticed the ecs kit does not include ball joints. maybe the answer is to go with the fcp groton kit, get powerflex fcabs and rtabs, f & r strut mounts, koni yellows, eibach springs, and steering knuckle and call it a day

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Why do you need a new steering knuckle? You do not need most of the parts in that kit. Rear trailing arms and such are fine since they don't have ball joints. If there aren't any bends then they're fine. Replace the bushings and call it a day. Rear sway bar links are also probably fine and so are the subframe bushings, upper and lower wishbone bushings.

If you want a good refresh do the following:
Replace front control arms, but you don't necessarily have to. Wiggle the wheel back and forth and check for play. No play, leave it alone.
Replace the front control arm bushings, just do it since they are likely bad by now.
Replace rear trailing arm bushings.
Replace front sway bar endlinks
Check for play in steering tie rods, wiggle wheel in and out to check for play. No play, leave it alone.
If your front strut and rear shock mounts are bad then so are the shocks. Replace all, the kit you linked doesn't include these parts. If the mounts aren't bad and you aren't replacing the shocks/struts leave it alone.

The rest of it is pretty pointless unless you have a legit reason for wanting to do this...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice.. i wanted to replace the knuckle and tie rods because i have a lot of play in my steering wheel

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
thanks for the advice.. i wanted to replace the knuckle and tie rods because i have a lot of play in my steering wheel
Do the wiggle test on your wheels to determine if the tie rods are bad. The knuckle will rarely ever go bad unless you hit a massive pothole. If the tie rods aren't bad then try to change out the steering coupler in the steering column. Search this for more info.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Do not buy that kit. Definitely don't need all that.

Start with powerflex fcabs and rtabs, shocks and springs for upgrades.

Ball joints, control arms, tie-rods, steering knuckles, etc. don't need to be replaced unless they are shot. You'd be shocked at how much play one bad ball joint can cause. In my experience, tie-rods, inner ball joints and upper strut mounts last longer than you'd think.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've decided to replace all my bushings with powerflex and upgrade my shocks/struts and springs.. while im doing the install i'll inspect all my ball joints, tie rods, steering component, and control arms to see if they need replacing.. thanks for all the help guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts