BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Background: I just purchased an Eibach Sportline Extreme Lowering Springs kit (part# 4.6720). This is for my 2002 325i Sedan without sports suspension. Car is running on staggered 18" style 135 rims. It has 95,000 miles on stock suspension.

I have read so many threads that I should be going for aftermarket struts/shocks/sways kit, like koni FSD/yellow, H&R etc., to bundle with the Eibach springs I just bought.

Question: Will buying an OEM sports suspension or an OEM ZHP suspension be better than, or at least, be the same as buying konis or H&Rs, to bundle it with Eibachs for my car?
The 2 main factors I am pointing to are:
1. Height - Will sport suspension give a lower height than the konis and h&rs?
2. Blown shocks - i have read that using lowering springs with stock non-sport suspension causes the shocks to blow. How true is this? How soon does this happen (i don't track/race at all. just a daily driver on city streets/freeway)?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Lowering springs + stock shocks/struts will indeed = blown out shocks/struts. Then again at 95,000 miles on the originally installed suspension you really should be saving up to do a much more major overhaul than just replacing springs or even springs + shocks. The existing shocks/struts, front control arm bushings, and RTABs are probably worn out at least. If you just want to do this for the looks, throw those springs on there and be on your way. Otherwise start saving up to do the job right...

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yes you can use them. But unfortuately at that mileage you should definetly replace your shocks because they are most certainly gone. I have paired lowing springs with stock shocks plently of times and I would say the shock life is decreased but it wont blow out on you quickly or anything. Your ride will be bouncy too with the stock shocks. Upgrade to some Bilstein or Konis while your in there.

·
Registered
405 Posts
With stock sport spring and shock, you can put 2 fingers between the fender and the tire. With Eibach pro spring and stock sport shock (my setup), you can put 1 finger between the fender and the tire.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks so much, everyone, for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Tangent_ : The front control arm bushings were replaced like 15,000 miles ago. RTABS and shocks/struts - I totally agree with you. I am already looking for bilsteins/konis :thumbup:

FastHackem : I will inspect the shocks, struts and other suspension parts when i am installing the springs. And if anything needs to be changed immediately (which i suspect is going to be the case) I will do so.

:thanks: again everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts