BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Im writing to seek knowledge on a rear suspension issue. Since owning the car for a little over a year i have replaced the passenger rear shock mount twice. First time I replaced both sides by ordering from Bavarian. After a short time I blew the passenger one while driving on the highway at night. I replaced those with heavy duty mounts and after a week I was getting the banging noise again on the passenger side. The car sat for awhile and when I took it back in and was told I blew the passenger one again. Is there another issue that would contribute to the mount on that side to constantly fail? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried putting the Z3 rear shock mount reinforcement plates?
Never thought of those. I will have to look into those. I also feel like the car leans slightly to the right...I slide to one side in my seat while driving. Could a sagging spring allow too much abuse on the mount and make it feel like the car is leaning?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Rouge engineering mounts :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I second the broken spring theory. There have been more than a few people who have experienced that. Take a look and let us know

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Were the shocks replaced as well? What is happening when the mount is determined to be blown?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were the shocks replaced as well? What is happening when the mount is determined to be blown?

The first time the shock completely came down and got stuck in the wheel well on a 45 degree angle. It ripped the guts right out of the middle of the mount. After changing both of the mounts it happened again...producing the same banging sound. At that point the heavy duty ones were used. A week later it was banging again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope nope nope nope and nope.

You're missing a washer in your setup.

you installed them yourself, didn't you?

Is there a reference that I can use to make sure that everything thats supposed to be there is there? As to your question a shop has done the work on all occassions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
Thanks for the info. As in a previous post Im looking at the Rogue Engineering mounts...they are better than anything Ive seen before. Ill be sure to give this info along with the parts to the shop.
They're nice and I'll probably buy them myself one day but really are unnecessary. Meyle HDs have been fine w/ bilstein sports for 30k miles now (i periodically pull and recheck them)

and you are definitely missing washers. textbook case

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
Have you tried putting the Z3 rear shock mount reinforcement plates?
those plates do nothing for the rear shock mount itself. they reinforce the metal of the rear shock top tower. which is hardly an issue for the E46 like it is for those soft top BMWs.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
those plates do nothing for the rear shock mount itself. they reinforce the metal of the rear shock top tower. which is hardly an issue for the E46 like it is for those soft top BMWs.
And for E36s. E36 shock towers will tear if you just look at them wrong

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're nice and I'll probably buy them myself one day but really are unnecessary. Meyle HDs have been fine w/ bilstein sports for 30k miles now (i periodically pull and recheck them)

and you are definitely missing washers. textbook case
Well this diagram is definitely going to come in handy. Im pretty sure if you poll a handful of shops theywouldnt be able to tell you how many parts/washers etc. belong there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive read on here that after 60K miles the springs are probably shot, so thats why I posted on here just to give myself more than one option to look at.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
Hello all. Im writing to seek knowledge on a rear suspension issue. Since owning the car for a little over a year i have replaced the passenger rear shock mount twice. First time I replaced both sides by ordering from Bavarian. After a short time I blew the passenger one while driving on the highway at night. I replaced those with heavy duty mounts and after a week I was getting the banging noise again on the passenger side. The car sat for awhile and when I took it back in and was told I blew the passenger one again. Is there another issue that would contribute to the mount on that side to constantly fail? Thanks in advance...
sounds like you are missing the washer under the shock mount's installation. i have answered this question for people for some 8 yrs now. it's rather common.
READ HERE http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=405551&highlight=rear+shock+mount+washer

it could also be a broken coil or shot shock allowing the shock to bottom out and punch the top bonded rubber-to-metal stock type mount. if you go with one of the Heavy Duty "lifetime" mounts like TMS or Rogue sells the bonded rubber isn't a factor to be puncing out.

my last suggestion is the rear shock is being bolted in while the suspension is hanging on a lift. this pre-loads it to an incorrect angle and twists the top in it's guide(which is what the rear shock mount is). when it's lowered back down to ride height or compressed on an impact it twist the rear shock mounts rubber breaking it.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,559 Posts
Ive read on here that after 60K miles the springs are probably shot, so thats why I posted on here just to give myself more than one option to look at.
BMW springs at 60k are shot? No that is incorrect. Although the rear coil springs on the E46 have been known to break a coil, which is unusual for coil springs. Our E46 springs don't really sag, or wear out. It's either working or it cracks in those rare cases in the "sal belt" regions.

·
Registered
28,435 Posts
sounds like you are missing the washer under the shock mount's installation. i have answered this question for people for some 8 yrs now. it's rather common.

it could also be a broken coil or shot shock allowing the shock to bottom out and punch the top bonded rubber-to-metal stock type mount. if you go with one of the Heavy Duty "lifetime" mounts like TMS or Rogue sells the bonded rubber isn't a factor to be puncing out.

my last suggestion is the rear shock is being bolted in while the suspension is hanging on a lift. this pre-loads it to an incorrect angle and twists the top in it's guide(which is what the rear shock mount is). when it's lowered back down to ride height or compressed on an impact it twist the rear shock mounts rubber breaking it.
+1 i always final torque the top nuts and lower bolt once car is at static height (resting height)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts