E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was talking to my local shop about lowering my 2001 330xi sedan and the quotes they were giving me were veeeeeerrrry expensive. So I thought, heck why don't I just do it myself. The problem is, I don't know that much stuff about this. I was curious if all I needed to install were the h&r lowering springs or if I needed other components or if I don't do something a certain way, I will ruin my car. Also fyi its a 330 XI which means it sits a little higher so I'm not sure if that changes anything. I was curious if someone could tell me the exact components I need or post a link of the right springs to get for my car. Also I saw this DIY on how to do and I was wondering if that will work on my car: http://www.e46fanatics.com/how-tos/suspension/bmw_e46_hr_springs/bmw_e46_hr_springs.php

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
suspension help!!

Hey guys, I was talking to my local shop about lowering my 2001 330xi sedan and the quotes they were giving me were veeeeeerrrry expensive. So I thought, heck why don't I just do it myself. The problem is, I don't know that much stuff about this. I was curious if all I needed to install were the h&r lowering springs or if I needed other components or if I don't do something a certain way, I will ruin my car. Also fyi its a 330 XI which means it sits a little higher so I'm not sure if that changes anything. I was curious if someone could tell me the exact components I need or post a link of the right springs to get for my car. Also I saw this DIY on how to do and I was wondering if that will work on my car: http://www.e46fanatics.com/how-tos/s...hr_springs.php

Thanks guys

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can just start with springs if you want. Your stock shocks will fail because of the higher spring rate and all that. If you wanted to go all out, buy new shocks and springs like the H&R Cup kit and install that. Ask around with the sponsors for what kit you need and the best price. I am in Nor Cal if you would like help with the install. You would have to come to me.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Before I answer your questions, I am going to tell you to look around because this has been beaten like a dead horse.

Now on to your questions (and some of mine):

1.) Where are you taking the car to that's quoting you so much to do this?
2.) It's great you want to do it yourself!
3.) How many miles are there on your current suspension (shocks/struts/springs)?
4.) If you get H&R springs on stock shocks you will blow them quickly, they might even be blown already (see item 3).
5.) H&R springs ride much more firm than the OEM ones, please be sure that you are aware of this and that this is what you want. Eibach springs are an option that are not nearly as firm.
6.) You don't technically need anything else to do this replacement but it is good practice to replace the upper shock/strut mount front and rear (also depending on mileage, refer to item 3). You should also replace all the nuts, bolts, and any other hardware as you go through this.
7.) You can buy all of the suspension components you need through TireRack.com. They have good prices and are a reputable retailer.
8.) That DIY is fine.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Although Tirerack may be a reputable dealer, there are better prices out there. Look around the forums for some slightly used good deals and also check out what the sponsors have to offer. I personally had some issues with Tirerack when I purchased my Koni Yellows from them but I know that isn't something that comes up often with them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
"veeeeeerrrry expensive" is a highly subjective description. If your talking 5000 bucks than yeah thats expensive. If your talking 1500 then no, i wouldn't consider that expensive.

You also don't mention what thier quote includes? Does it cover all 4 springs, front struts and rear shocks? or is it merely the labor to pull all 4 corners and replace the springs? As far as the fronts, it's basically the same job to replace the springs as it is to replace the struts and springs so it's a higher cost job.

Although, you sound like you don't have a whole lot of automotive experience? Doing an oil change or changing your plugs is not the same arena as pulling a front strut and swapping the springs. I have been working on cars for 20 years and DIY every possible thing i can and i still opted to have a shop replace my front struts. I mostly did because of the common issue of the strut crimping bolt snapping, but also because front springs are just a nuisance!

SamDoe1 also raises a good point about the ride. Lowering the XI is going to give you a harsh ride and i have noticed alot of Xiers opting for oem springs but after market shocks just to keep the ride decent. He also is right on that your rear shocks are probably already blown and your fronts could also be, unless you just had those replaced recently.

Typically lowering involves replaceing the whole susupension and i also would not advocate replacing only the springs and leaving all the OEM compenents in even a semi worn state. Lowered Xis are under alot more road stress than stock level ones and even lowered rwds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.