BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so after doing some reading about shocks/struts etc i started thinking about if mine need to be changed...i got my xi at 40,000 and its currently at 72,000..to my knowledge the shocks have never been replaced. you guys think i should maybe invest in new shocks? if so, what do you recommend. sounds like i should either go with Bilstein sports or Koni Yellow. Since we're on the subject maybe you guys could recommend springs as well and anything else i might need. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more on the performance side since i've always wanted an m3 and hope to be getting it sometime in the next year or so but i feel as if my shocks could be going....how long do they usually last?

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Have you seen evidence of a leak on any of them?

Honestly, if you're planning on going into an M within a year, I'm not seeing the point of spending anything on this car of yours unless you're planning on keeping it after M. You might notice a little difference, but I'll tell you that I changed mine at about 180K miles (more or less) and from what my shop 'thought,' they were original...and although one was leaking, I didn't notice any difference afterwards.

Maybe I just had extraordinary luck...maybe I'm an idiot...maybe my car had been babied before my time with her (got her at 140K). I drive her hard as intended, drive often in and around NYC and really didn't notice any difference at all--did replace with the same Boges as were on before.

So, that's my opinion...keep the money for M, or for the axles it seems every Xi here needs around your mileage!

HTH...

Doug

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help, no i have not seen any leakage i was just thinking about ways to blow money haha i just took a guess since i've got 72,000 miles on it. sounds like i should just save the money.

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
thanks for the help, no i have not seen any leakage i was just thinking about ways to blow money haha i just took a guess since i've got 72,000 miles on it. sounds like i should just save the money.
I could prolly use some front bearings...you could buy them for me and I'll promise to make up random stuff in response to any and all questions you ever ask here!

So, you have favorite roads to drive on in our state? Have you found the thread in the NJ forum with the list of fun roads to drive on?

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts