E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have done lots of reading up on this but can't seem to find the exact issue I have so thought I would just ask.

I have a 2003 BMW 330 ci convertible m sport it's a great car and I thought I'd get the suspension changed so after some research I went with budget coilover off ebay called pro sport as I had herd good things about them. I've had them fitted about 6 months now and I hate them lol. The roads around where I live in Essex are pretty bad and I've had enough of the bumpy crashy ride.

But I do like how it sits being a bit lower. My caris just a DD never going on a track and mostly just drive around town and the odd long trip/holiday.

Ive decided I'm going with the eibach lowering springs for the convertible as they are perfect for what I'm looking for but I can't make my mind up on the shocks and struts. I read one post someone wrote saying use the SE shocks and struts with the eibach springs for the most comfortable ride but as my car is a m-sport will they work ? Is it even a good idea ? Or would I be better going with the m-sport shocks and struts ? I don't drive it too the limit that much any more as often have the family in the car but I do like good handling for when the mood takes me and there is no children or dogs in with me lol.

I asked a couple of parts suppliers and most of them said those parts won't work on my car but I have read lots of people with the non sport cars putting the sports suspension on them. so I can't see why it won't work the other way round? But all the new parts come to just over £500 so I don't want to get them all and find out it won't work.

My main priority is comfort for going over the pot holes , cracks , speed bumps uneven road as it's truly shocking compared to lots of places in the country which I realise visiting other county's.

Sorry that this went on so long but I've been researching this loads over the last few weeks and want to do something ASAP so any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 01 has the factory sport suspension and the ride is anything but smooth in the city, but on the highway it just glides. I'd say if your main priority is comfort get the stock non-sport suspension. Or air suspension if you have money to blow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Anything lower than the factory sport suspension is going to cause pot hole / speed bump / dirt road problems. Here are what I think the most sensible choices are:

1) Put back your sport springs if you still have them. But new high quality shocks. It does make a difference.

2) Don't know how agressive the springs are on your coilovers, but you hopefully can set the ride hight a bit higher. I haven't had coilovers yet, but the big upside is you can adjust the height and change the spring rates. Of course this only helps you in the front.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I don't want to spend 3k on air bags lol but my factory suspension was really badly worn, rusty rear springs and leaking shock and I didn't inspect the front to see what condition they were in as someone else fitted it for me but the car has 115k and as far as I can tell none of the springs or struts have ever been replaced so there is no way they are performing like they did when new. So anything (apart from the pro sport coilovers) will be much better than what it was or what it is like now. And I don't want to go with the full non sport set up as I like it a bit lower and the ebiach have are rated extremely highly by other e46 owners and they out preform stock on many levels and I want it to still be a really good handling car (the Ultimate driving machine) but with the best comfort possible for the ebiach. And everyone that has them fitted has said there is no noticeable difference and ebiach them selfs say the springs are about 10% stiffer which I'm more than happy about because of the better driving feel. I'm 100% going for ebiach springs so it's just about what shocks and struts will work best with these. But I did list this thread in the wrong section at first and there has been a user called rob43 who really knows his stuff and has been very helpful with recommendations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything lower than the factory sport suspension is going to cause pot hole / speed bump / dirt road problems. Here are what I think the most sensible choices are:

1) Put back your sport springs if you still have them. But new high quality shocks. It does make a difference.

2) Don't know how agressive the springs are on your coilovers, but you hopefully can set the ride hight a bit higher. I haven't had coilovers yet, but the big upside is you can adjust the height and change the spring rates. Of course this only helps you in the front.

Hi Ryan the coilovers I got we're basically cheap rubbish that I thought were cheap and good quality when I bought them but now I can safely say I want them off the car ASAP. My stock springs are rusty and look ready to snap soon and i have had the car for 5 years and I've never changed them or the shocks or struts until last year when I put the c/o on and I did put just the old sports springs on the back the other day to see if that made a difference and it made it loads more comfortable over my bad roads so that's why I've decided to go and replace everything for new good quality brand names.

Why does it only help in the front ? I have played around with both front and back raised them both up had the proper hunter 4 wheel alignment and had the back raised as high as it would go but still a bad ride. And i shouldn't be that surprised with a £200 set of coilovers it's never going to be great.

So I'm 100% going with the ebiach but I'm looking to put the best shocks on there possible so I get the best ride my car on 18s is capable of. But whilst still be great going down the fun roads and to have full confidence which I don't with my cheap coilovers but lesson learnt il sell them on eBay for someone who is looking for a cheap way of lowering the car at the expense of the comfort which I'm not happy to compromise on and don't need to as I'd rather spend a few hundred more on quality and in the long run I will still be great years down the road which the coilovers won't be lol

What do you consider to be high quality shocks ?

Another member on here has given me great advice on what to get but I am waiting on a price from the seller so if you have any known brands that are really good let me know. The ebiach don't give a massive drop at the back it's not really noticeable but the front is a good drop which levels out the car at pretty much the same level as stock sport springs but with a lot more car control.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Consider the Koni FSD shocks and struts with the Eibach springs. I have a convertible and have the FSD's with stock springs. Mine is the sports suspension also. These shocks with give you a nice ride in the city and hold tight in the curves. Good Luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Consider the Koni FSD shocks and struts with the Eibach springs. I have a convertible and have the FSD's with stock springs. Mine is the sports suspension also. These shocks with give you a nice ride in the city and hold tight in the curves. Good Luck.
That's good to know cheers. How much more comfortable % is it than your standard set up ? Was there a noticeable difference when you fitted this new set up ?

If you needed to replace all shocks again would you stick with the fsd or would you go for something more comfortable if there is or do you think it's perfect as is ?

·
Registered
664 Posts
I put the FSD shocks and struts on at about 63,xxx miles. When I did this, I also installed new shock and strut mounts as well as new front control arms and bushings.

I have since put on another 15,000 miles of occasional around town trips and a couple of long distance trips of 2,000 miles or more and have noticed a smoother ride over the normal bumps and humps of normal driving and more firmness when pushing it through the curves. My originals were not blown so the differences are not that extreme from the originals but are quite noticeable and feels more in control.

If I were to need to get new shocks and struts, yes I would definately get the FSD. I don't use the car as a daily driver but that would not affect my decision and if I did, might even be more of reason to use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.