E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I searched all over and couldn't find an answer. If this is a topic that is beaten to death, I apologize.

I'm aware that the Coupe comes with the sport suspension automatically... but is this sport suspension the EXACT same setup as the sedan's sport suspension? Specifically, are the springs and shocks the same? Since the cars have different dimensions and weights, seems to me like they'd be different.

I ask because I want to put OEM Springs & Shocks from a 2004 325ci on my 2001 325i. If the coupe suspension is indeed calibrated for the coupe, I feel like I should avoid putting it on my car.

Also, the springs and shocks from the '04 325ci will fit my car, correct? Just want to be absolutely sure before I spend $200 on it.

Thanks for any help! :)

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Koni has seperate part numbers for the rear shocks between the sedan and coupe... anyone know what's different between the two? The fronts are the exact same.

Conversley, the Bilstein sets are the exact same for the coupe and sedan.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Eibach makes about 10 different suspension related products & packages for the E46 Sedan & Coupe and both versions use the exact same part numbers for all of them.
I'm going to call my dealership tomorrow and see what I can find out.
I also e-mailed Koni and asked why they use a different set of rear shocks for the Coupe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Coupe come standard with sport suspension, while the sedan don't. That's the only difference. All suspension components can be swap between sedan and coupe. It also doesn't matter is it from a 320, 330 or 325...etc. They all fit right in.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RS6 said:
Coupe come standard with sport suspension, while the sedan don't. That's the only difference. All suspension components can be swap between sedan and coupe. It also doesn't matter is it from a 320, 330 or 325...etc. They all fit right in.
Ok, awesome, thanks so much for your help!

I recieved a reply from Koni. They said "The only difference is the max length of the damper. The Coupe shock is about an inch shorter than the Sedan."

Wonder why that is? I asked.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Koni's reply when I asked why the coupe's damper length is 1" shorter:
"It's likely because of the lower floor of the Coupe and Convertible and possibly the use of a shorter spring on these cars (along with the Sport suspension equipped Sedans). The shocks are built to match the factory lengths which is required for TUV approval in Germany. Thanks for writing."

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got off the phone with Circle BMW and they said that the part numbers for the front and rear shocks for a 2004 325i and 325ci are indeed different part numbers. He wasn't able to check on the springs though... he needed VINs for that.

·
Banned
3,759 Posts
InSuboRdiNaTioN said:
Just got off the phone with Circle BMW and they said that the part numbers for the front and rear shocks for a 2004 325i and 325ci are indeed different part numbers. He wasn't able to check on the springs though... he needed VINs for that.
Just check HRSprings site and coupes and sedans have the same partnumbers if the sedans came with sport package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.