E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... some punk kid has just piled into me whilst I was stationary 30 minutes ago. :ben::ben:

Coolant and oil all over the shop, too. 204K miles, a write of is virtually assured. :(

I love(d) my car. :censor:

His car:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
204k, 12 year old car, new hood, bumper and god knows what under the hood = not economically viable. :bawling:

·
Registered
79 Posts
It'll buff out lol
On a real note sorry to see that happen to you man. Ive had 3 close calls all in the same week of people not paying attention to the road, all three the other person was on the phone and all three were women.... says something doesn't it lol

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,648 Posts
Bumper, hood, probably condenser and radiator/ET, hard to know what's going on under the hood until you send photos, but with what insurance gives you...buy car back...and buy the parts you need and I bet you'll be better off than you would trying to get anything comparable with what insurance gives you.

Novabimmer has an 'ask insurance guy' anything thread...and maybe he can advise how best to manage the arduous task of dealing with a company that's set up to make themselves hard to deal with.

Good luck...glad you're okay enough to post after 1/2 an hour. Take advil (ibuprofen) before you go to bed...and don't ignore symptoms of a stiff neck, etc. Insurance companies care more about if you've been hurt than if your car has been! Might see a Dr. tomorrow just to be safe anyway.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Bumper, hood, probably condenser and radiator/ET, hard to know what's going on under the hood until you send photos, but with what insurance gives you...buy car back...and buy the parts you need and I bet you'll be better off than you would trying to get anything comparable with what insurance gives you.

Novabimmer has an 'ask insurance guy' anything thread...and maybe he can advise how best to manage the arduous task of dealing with a company that's set up to make themselves hard to deal with.

Good luck...glad you're okay enough to post after 1/2 an hour. Take advil (ibuprofen) before you go to bed...and don't ignore symptoms of a stiff neck, etc. Insurance companies care more about if you've been hurt than if your car has been! Might see a Dr. tomorrow just to be safe anyway.
All good advice, especially about seeing the Dr. I think he's in Europe though so the insurance situation may be a bit different.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All good advice, especially about seeing the Dr. I think he's in Europe though so the insurance situation may be a bit different.
In UK so insurance will be different. He was on TPF&T however, so sucks for him.

No issues so far re my health. Will see what I'm like tomorrow obviously. TBH, I was stationary and he was no more than 25mph I'd guess so I'm more interested in getting my car sorted than any bogus claim for injury.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
In UK so insurance will be different. He was on TPF&T however, so sucks for him.

No issues so far re my health. Will see what I'm like tomorrow obviously. TBH, I was stationary and he was no more than 25mph I'd guess so I'm more interested in getting my car sorted than any bogus claim for injury.
Not for bogus claims, but for your own benefit. Injuries after an accident, regardless of how minor the accident may have seemed to those involved may not be immediately evident.

It's your body though so you'd know best, but I err on the side of caution.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,970 Posts
honestly that doesn't look that bad as far as repairing goes from photos.

i'm gonna guess you have an automatic thus the reason for oil leaks from the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
honestly that doesn't look that bad as far as repairing goes from photos.

i'm gonna guess you have an automatic thus the reason for oil leaks from the transmission oil cooler at the radiator.
It is an auto. I'm not sure the car is worth much more than £3-4K. I'd suggest repairing it would cost more than £2.5K which would make it a write off (new hood alone is £700, new bumper is £350 and those are before paint).

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,648 Posts
Goughie,

You know you can save tons diying things...finding parted out cars...junk yard parts. You could well get lucky and find a bumper and hood from your color car. Painting both might cost $500...but I'd bet you could get those parts pretty cheaply too...if you don't buy new parts from the dealer.

Open up the hood and send us some shots of it.

If we try to talk you into diying...do you have a way to get to work/school (don't know what you're up to or where)?

You'll get reamed. Where are you going to find a car that drives like a $35,000 usd car for what insurance will give you. You'll be rebuilding any beater you get for what you get anyway.

You'll get money...they'll say "okay, do you want to buy your car back for $400?" You say "yes."

I should've done this when my e36 was totaled 6 years ago--now I'm older and wiser!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Goughie,

You know you can save tons diying things...finding parted out cars...junk yard parts. You could well get lucky and find a bumper and hood from your color car. Painting both might cost $500...but I'd bet you could get those parts pretty cheaply too...if you don't buy new parts from the dealer.

Open up the hood and send us some shots of it.

If we try to talk you into diying...do you have a way to get to work/school (don't know what you're up to or where)?

You'll get reamed. Where are you going to find a car that drives like a $35,000 usd car for what insurance will give you. You'll be rebuilding any beater you get for what you get anyway.

You'll get money...they'll say "okay, do you want to buy your car back for $400?" You say "yes."

I should've done this when my e36 was totaled 6 years ago--now I'm older and wiser!
Couldn't open the hood because of the damage. It's gone to the dealer and I've spoken to the body shop manager who reckons it'll be written off (only from the pics he's seen so far, though). :(

My E91 320d rental has just arrived.

The chump who hit me has admitted to my insurance co that it was 100% his fault. Just waiting to see my car's fate now.

I'm a consultant so time isn't an issue for DIY'ing, but my complete incompotence with anything mechanical is! :facepalm:

Guy who dropped of the E91 suggested I send receipts for newly fitted tyres and other work to bump up insurance payout if it comes to this - says it's now pretty standard operating procedure in UK insurance claims for non-fault drivers of write-offs. That'll put another £560 onto the price at least. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.