E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have constant, all the time, super fast flickering.

The car is a non-xenon standard headlight (H7) 2003 euro sedan, with auto headlights and wiper control. When I got it the reverse lights were letting the rainwater seep in, so I bought a new set of LED tails to replace all the rear lamps. The installation went fine, and they seemed to perform well.

However the Eagle Eyes tail package came with non-LED equipped trunk assemblies (see the picture below, only the outer assemblies come with LEDs). I bought super-bright cob-style multi-LED bulbs to put into them. (Both trunk assemblies use standard bulbs for the reverse and rear fog light).

I also used 4x16x3528 LED warm festoons, 2 for the interior trunk lights and 2 for the number plate lamp, and a pair of T10 multi-LEDs for the front parking lights (in the low-beam assy).

Note: None of my bulbs have CANbus resistors, instead I bought and tested bulbs that use so many LEDs they draw enough current that they do not upset the bulb out warning system.

After many months of happy driving, I noticed that they all flicker, just a little, all the time. It is very fast, probably something like 20 times a second. Almost unnoticeable but once you know, you can see they all flicker. I've been searching and reading all kinds of things about flicker online in e46 and e39, but the symptoms all seem more pronounced and also intermittent- and are LCM or bulb test cycle related.

Mine is very slight, but it happens on every LED I install, front and rear: Brake, park, reverse, fog, etc... they all flicker almost imperceptibly.

Has anyone noticed this before?

This is the 'EE' tail package I got, def. the best I've seen:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Will do...

Hey great, it could be that? Is it enabled stock as well as the cold warning system?

I need to get my DIS working anyhow to cancel the airbag warning, read the logs, etc.

Will check the settings, possibly do this and report back.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,214 Posts
It sounds like you have the warm testing of the bulbs from the LCM creating the flickering. If you have PA Soft 1.4 software, deselect the warm testing in the LCM module and see if this remedies the problem.
I've seen the option on PA Soft. Definitely give that a try.

You can try DIS, which is what I used, but I understand the LED retrofit path only shows up on the 2-door models.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W0E_I5YP5MA

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
BMW codes the Cold Check and Warm Check off on cars with OE LED tail lights.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies, all!

Heh, been a while but I came across this thread again so thought I'd better update it late (than never, sorry!)

I disabled the cold and warm check on all the lights. The front and rear park LEDs are still flickering fast, and ever so slightly.

I really don't care if it a lamp fails and I don't get alerted as I tend to figure it out pretty quick anyhow. Also, given that all the bulbs are now LEDs (except the headlamps), it won't be often anyhow. Maybe I have to adjust the PWM to affect the flicker rate- will try that next

1 - 6 of 6 Posts