E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am wondering if the reason that there are so few people here with superchargers is attributed to the fact that like myself, they are not that mechanically inclined and quite honestly - are afraid of what's involved in maintaining it. While I can only speak for myself, the price is not the dissuading factor to not get a supercharger - as is more the challenge/fear that I do not have nearly enough mechanical skills to maintain it.

I am honest enough to say that I am relatively lost under the hood of my car and would not dare to make any minor changes - yet alone something as major as retrofitting the engine and adding a supercharger. My biggest fear is after I have paid someone to install it - the daily/monthly/yearly? maintenance that it would need.

For those of you that do have them, or do have experience with them - can you tell me what is involved with the maintenance of this unit? is it temperamental? Does it require constant tuning and tweaking?

TIA

Chris

·
www.my330i.com
1,879 Posts
My ESS kit has been without problems for almost 5 months now.

It is fed engine-oil so when you change your oil, you clean the compressor's oil as well. Also, the Vortech units they use are designed to me as maintentance-free as possible and reliable.

Once installed, you shoulnd't have to touch it other than chaging your engine oil regularly, which we *all* do, right!!?!?!?

One of the main reasons ESS hasn't finished the Stage 2 kit is to get a solution that is as maintenance-free as possible, aka an air-to-air intercooler setup, not air-to-water or water/alcohol injection.

I like the fact that they tested these kits at higher boost, then turned it down a bit for reliability and drivability.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.