E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Any ideas on how much the dealer will charge for parts and labor on a tranny swap? PlayinJ30, since you're in Durham (I'm in Chapel Hill), which dealer would you recommend up here: Leith or Performance?

·
Registered
198 Posts
playinJ30 said:

All the other mods you are looking at are really not going to help more than 30-40 horsepower and will be very expensive. A good high performance manual transmission will give you I'd say, around the equivalent of 100 horsepower worth of performance in regards to accelleration and tracking especially. Your transmission cannot handle much more power and will likely blow soon if you drive it often, do yourself a favor and switch it out now.
Bet it is not even close to that much "power".

Horse power "lost' via a tranmisssion is a %. Most preformance ATs I've seen on the dyno see 5 to 10% less power at the wheels than a stick making the same motor power. Even stock your looking at 15 to 20% loss max.

At the same time I wonder, seeing as BMW is using GM trannies ... do the mods for those trannies fit?

i.e ... Higher stall TCs, valve body kits, better clutches, etc. etc. etc.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,226 Posts
Yes definatly swap the tranny, the average cost is 5-6k which would be the same as if not less then the other mods you wish to do. Then you would just want a high performance clutch, LTW Flywheel, and a LSD with lower gearing.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts