E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I tried to tilt my sunroof in the 1999 328i and it went up. stayed up in the tilted position for a couple of seconds and then immediately went back down. Sometimes dropping way below the flush level with the roof. However the open and close functions work without any issues.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,659 Posts
Hello. I tried to tilt my sunroof in the 1999 328i and it went up. stayed up in the tilted position for a couple of seconds and then immediately went back down. Sometimes dropping way below the flush level with the roof. However the open and close functions work without any issues.

Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Thank you.
There are six screws, three on each side of the roof window, that hold the glass in place. I believe they are #15 Torx, but they might be #20. Remove the screws and lift the glass out, then you can see all that there is to see. You can see the three torx screws for the passenger side from the driver seat, just push the sunshade out of the way. You can see the driver side screws from the passenger seat.

The screw holes are larger than the screws, so put the screws in and leave them a little loose, then you can push the glass up or down to line it up to the surrounding roof. There's a spec for the alignment and I'll probably get it wrong, but I think the front is 1mm below the surrounding roof while the rear is flush. You can look at the alignment before you take the glass out, and then adjust the glass as it was, assuming the glass has never been out before.

It's not difficult to take the glass out and put it in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason why I posted on here is that the plastic slider clips are broken in my car and I just got new once to replace them with. So I tried to tilt the roof up for easier access to the bolts but it never stayed open.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts