BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have ever messed around with your sunroof i.e. replaced the clips and the sunroof stops half or 75% of the way, I have finally (with the help from by brother-in-law who works at a dealership in MD) figured out how to properly initialize it. Everywhere you look they tell you to hold the button in for 20 seconds and then that***8217;s it. If you have an 01~02, this as you know does not work. It might work for a bit, but it will eventually stop again later down the road. I***8217;ve just been dealing with it, pretty annoying:banghead: . So here is how you do it:

1. Turn your ignition to on but do not start the engine, AC position

2. Hit the button and hold it in retract position, the sunroof will go back now, once its there keep holding the button back for about 20-30 seconds.

3. Next push the button forward while holding it the whole way, the sunroof will go forward, once its there keep holding it forward until the sunroof goes up to the vent position.

4. Now depress the button to lift the sunroof (I know its already up,) hold for approximately 20~30 seconds until it goes up one more level.

So in essence what you are doing is training the motor in all three positions. Another note.. Lubing up the rails is also a good idea, however this alone will probably not fix the anti trapping (it has surprisingly enough has for some on here:hmm: ). Give it a shot and see if it works.

J

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
i tried it, and for the time being, it seems to work. thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Yup they updated the control units to the ones on the E39 what you just posted is the same for an E39 there are alos TSB's about this so it shouldn't have been hard to figure out

·
Registered
207 Posts
Everything was going well for me until step #4. My sunroof would not lift "one more level." It wanted to (I heard a twitch-like sound) but it didn't. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you have ever messed around with your sunroof i.e. replaced the clips and the sunroof stops half or 75% of the way, I have finally (with the help from by brother-in-law who works at a dealership in MD) figured out how to properly initialize it. Everywhere you look they tell you to hold the button in for 20 seconds and then that's it. If you have an 01~02, this as you know does not work. It might work for a bit, but it will eventually stop again later down the road. I've just been dealing with it, pretty annoying:banghead: . So here is how you do it:

1. Turn your ignition to on but do not start the engine, AC position

2. Hit the button and hold it in retract position, the sunroof will go back now, once its there keep holding the button back for about 20-30 seconds.

3. Next push the button forward while holding it the whole way, the sunroof will go forward, once its there keep holding it forward until the sunroof goes up to the vent position.

4. Now depress the button to lift the sunroof (I know its already up,) hold for approximately 20~30 seconds until it goes up one more level.

So in essence what you are doing is training the motor in all three positions. Another note.. Lubing up the rails is also a good idea, however this alone will probably not fix the anti trapping (it has surprisingly enough has for some on here:hmm: ). Give it a shot and see if it works.

J

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great post! Seems to have worked so far on my '01 330Ci. Didn't really want to try the clips DIY yet and this looks to have solved my problem for the time being!

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
I changed my clips, but now the shade does not retract on it's own when the sunroof goes from closed to vent.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Just a bit OT, but does anyone have or can direct me to pics showing were to lube the S/R tracks? Tried lincomatic's and others DIYs, but none show really clear areas to lube, unless I'm missing something. I have found the ones for the interior shade but can't seem to locate the ones for the glass panel. TIA.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread with my first ever post, but I've just got my first E34 (1999 318i - lowly I know) and the sunroof was staying an inch or so down...
Tried the above procedure and worked 100% first time.
You guys are awesome! I cannot believe it was that simple to fix!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
after replacing the clips on my sunroof the visor/cover does not open all the way, the glass does slide but the interior panel does not open. Anyone know why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came here to say this exact sequence worked to reset my sunroof after replacing the sunroof motor and cassette in my 09/02 built 2003 E46 M3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts