E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 328i Sport, 2003 325iT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since purchasing my 325iT a year ago, the sunroof has never worked or sat closed correctly. Pushing the switch in any direction results in a loud clicking sound and the sunroof is now stuck in the tilted up position on one side only.

So I know this is a common problem, and rather than buying a rebuild kit off of ECS, I’d rather just grab a whole cassette from one of the 20 E46s at my local junkyards and toss it in mine after re-greasing it and making sure it’s all in good order.

The issue I keep running into is when I pull the sunroof motors out of the junkyard cars there seems to be metal shavings on them. I’ll post a picture of an example. I assume this is a sign of the motor skipping and clicking on the cassette cable. Am I wrong? Do I just need to test them before I pull them? We’re not allowed to hook the entire cars up to a battery, so I might try to just hook up a drill battery to the sunroof switch. Id just rather know it works before I pull it and find out the hard way.
Any other info appreciated.

Toy Gas Technology Cylinder Space

Metal shavings on motor gear

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi,

In my quest to find the reason why the auto-close function stops 3.4 of the way, i have a thread with some information listed here:

Electronics gurus Can you advise if sunroof motor control unit is bad. Images enclosed. Looks strange

I picked up a used sunroof motor off a 2005 E46 M3 on ebay and the listing images had those metal shavings as well. The stock unit on my 2000 E46 328 coupe also had these metal shavings. Fortunately the M3 unit i acquired works great. I cleaned off the shavings and installed it.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 328i Sport, 2003 325iT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

In my quest to find the reason why the auto-close function stops 3.4 of the way, i have a thread with some information listed here:

Electronics gurus Can you advise if sunroof motor control unit is bad. Images enclosed. Looks strange

I picked up a used sunroof motor off a 2005 E46 M3 on ebay and the listing images had those metal shavings as well. The stock unit on my 2000 E46 328 coupe also had these metal shavings. Fortunately the M3 unit i acquired works great. I cleaned off the shavings and installed it.

HTH

Good to know! My sunroof will sometimes stop 3/4 of the way too on my 328i.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here are some good resources I have used in my journey to resolve in my case the sunshade issue.
There is useful information on changing the sliders that break and other information.

This has been a very frustrating, angering, tiring and very annoying issue to deal with. But, i hope to have this issue fully corrected and even though the process has been very frustrating, I feel good because i have learned things slong the way.

BMW E46 sunroof sunshade repair

Regards,

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts