BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 2005 BMW 330cic (convertible); Black alcantara interior

Problem: Driver's side sun visor arm not held in properly at the pivot point (just falls out)

I've search the E46 site directly and used Google to search the E46Fanatics website for a solution but did not find any. Barring any oversight on my part, what is a solution to this problem?

I have not removed the two screws that hold the pivot mounting bracket to see if a obvious internal failure can be determined yet, wanted to garner the forum's collective knowledge first.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I suppose you have checked screws tightness. I have not consider loosening/removing those screws myself, afraid of disturbing headliner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose you have checked screws tightness. I have not consider loosening/removing those screws myself, afraid of disturbing headliner.
I have not unloosen the bracket mounting screws. Waiting for more information before proceeding. Good point about the headliner but given how it appears to be mounted if he problem is internal one would have to remove the bracket.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I guess I would remove the screws and inspect. Maybe a slightly larger screw might be the answer. If it were me and it was possible I'd put a small nutsert with the matching machine screw instead of a sheet metal screw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that any type of screw used as a solution would be a machine screw. But I would like to know how this arm is held in place while allowing it to pivot. The sun visor is in perfect condition and is a non-illuminated visor. Hopefully someone has direct experience with this. Realoem does not provide an exploded view of the pivot point nor is this specific component listed as a specific part #.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,938 Posts
You will likely need to replace it. The arm goes into a cylinder that holds it with a few teeth. The walls of the cylinder crack and it doesn’t hold any more. Remove the mount, and if all the pieces are still there you can try JB welding them back and then filling the seams. They were only needed for initial assembly.

or try to find a retaining ring of some kind

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will likely need to replace it. The arm goes into a cylinder that holds it with a few teeth. The walls of the cylinder crack and it doesn’t hold any more. Remove the mount, and if all the pieces are still there you can try JB welding them back and then filling the seams. They were only needed for initial assembly.

or try to find a retaining ring of some kind

Interesting thought. Currently, if you remove the sun visor from the clip (on the right side while facing it), it will simply fall out. I assume that means the cylinder teeth made out of plastic. Would you expand on your outer ring solution. It seems that this would have to internally with the bracket...correct?

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to vehicle trim and then interior covering upper. You’ll find the parts for the visors there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the car’s VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to vehicle trim and then interior covering upper. You’ll find the parts for the visors there.
MarkusMarkus, I had already looked up the part on Realoem.com but the pivot point bracket is not a separate part # nor does it provide a exploded view.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
3,938 Posts
I fixed one by gluing the plastic tip on and wrapping tightly with wire, but it was never quite tight enough. The visor creates a lever arm that puts a decent amount of force on the pivot. I suspect if you could find a strong circular clip, you could create a tight enough joint that it would hold.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Archibid, thank you for the idea. A previous member stated that a cylinder within the bracket has teeth that holds it and allows it to rotate. I have refrained from removing the bracket to obtain as much information as I can. I still do not know enough how the internals of the bracket are designed to determine how to solved as opposed to buying a new sun visor. Realoem shows a part number which appears to be for the sun visor and bracket together, Calling ECS Tuning yielded same result as Realoem indicates, one part that includes the bracket and sun visor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still trying to understand how the cylinder holds the shaft and allows it to rotate. When I looked at the Ebay picture, there appears to be a dome on the end of the shaft. Not certain what role this plays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts