E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stopped by BPG and had the summers put on the ZHP today... Crummy BlackBerry camera pic snapped in front of my daughter's school in Brookline...

Still debating on some different wheels... But slapped these on while I make up my mind--preserve the Nokians from the err heat...

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So I was driving around my town today and had the DSLR camera.... I realized I'd never really posted any pics of the car, so I snapped a few. Does anyone else feel like a DB taking pics of their car? I totally do. :) Also, I'm a terrible photographer and the car desperately needs to be washed and waxed...

BTW, anyone have thoughts on summer wheels? The current #135s are curbed, the paints chipping, and have crummy Sumitomos that the previous owner put on. By far, the ugliest part of the car.

Actually, let me break the poll into the following questions:

- Keep beat-up 135s?
- Buy new 135s
- Buy new OEM CSLs (19x8) all around. Would be nice to rotate the wheels
- Go with a lightweight 17, like the D-Force ones...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I always feel like a DB when I'm taking photos of my car, especially because to get good shots, you have to park the car at weird angles and positions.

I like the 135s on your car, but if they're a bit scratched/curbed, I'd go with a set of OEM CSLs. Unless you're gonna gonna track or autocross, I'd go with the looks of the CSLs over the weight of the D-forces.

BTW, you car looks great.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I'm still partial to the 18" BBS RC at 18lbs. They are strong, like bull.

BBS hasn't made them for a few years but nice used sets are still out there. The Apex ARC-8 seems to be a high-quality replica. They are just as light as the real thing, and seem to be constructed the same way.

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always feel like a DB when I'm taking photos of my car, especially because to get good shots, you have to park the car at weird angles and positions.

I like the 135s on your car, but if they're a bit scratched/curbed, I'd go with a set of OEM CSLs. Unless you're gonna gonna track or autocross, I'd go with the looks of the CSLs over the weight of the D-forces.

BTW, you car looks great.
I think I'm leaning towards the OEM CSLs... The just swapping the old 18s back on for auto-x events...

And thanks! :thumbspup:

BBS hasn't made them for a few years but nice used sets are still out there. The Apex ARC-8 seems to be a high-quality replica. They are just as light as the real thing, and seem to be constructed the same way.
I really like the BBS RC and the CH... But since its sort of the same look as the CSL, and would be double the price, I think I'd just stick with the OEM wheels...

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oem whoore :)

car looks great steve, see you soon hopefully!
Thanks Russo... I'm actually heading down your way today...In the X3 with 2/3 of the kids. Johnston, RI I guess... Heading to see 97 year old nana in the nursing home... fuuuuun

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol thats where i live bud... which nursing home are you going to?
Not sure... Old Poccasset Rd or something? Home already--met the folks at the nursing home, lunch at something called Luigis, then got the hell outa dodge ASAP. Taking the kids to Larz for the afternoon... Dels Lemonade was closed, not pleased. Loooove that stuff.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Not sure... Old Poccasset Rd or something? Home already--met the folks at the nursing home, lunch at something called Luigis, then got the hell outa dodge ASAP. Taking the kids to Larz for the afternoon... Dels Lemonade was closed, not pleased. Loooove that stuff.
Nice... ya I know where that is, not crazy about it there but they seem to do well.

April 1 for Del's ;)

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice... ya I know where that is, not crazy about it there but they seem to do well.

April 1 for Del's ;)
I'll need to visit nana after April 1 then! Making next trip with the baby--I would like 97 year old nana to meet her great-grandson while she's still here... but man, I hate driving to RI... :)

BTW, Russo, there's a McDonald's all boarded up on that main road there. I don't think I've ever heard of a McDonald's going out of business..

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
i'll let you know when the local ones open up...

they moved, they didn't close... been like that for a year or two now. they are now a little further down atwood ave (south) directly across the street from the new burlington coat factory, home depot, etc plaza....

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Kubica,
Will be looking for advice on tires for these things... I'm so tempted to drop $688 on the Hankooks, but know I'll probably end up doing the Michelin's...

Mich Pilot Super Sport is less than the PS2 in the 235/35/19... Not sure how that works?

I actually love the Pilot Sport A/S (all season). Same tread as the original PS, plus will last longer... Does it make any sense at all to throw an A/S tire on?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Steve,

I will hit you on BBM. I will set you up with some DForce LTW5s or 18" EmPowers and i can get you tires.,

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Kubica,
Will be looking for advice on tires for these things... I'm so tempted to drop $688 on the Hankooks, but know I'll probably end up doing the Michelin's...

Mich Pilot Super Sport is less than the PS2 in the 235/35/19... Not sure how that works?

I actually love the Pilot Sport A/S (all season). Same tread as the original PS, plus will last longer... Does it make any sense at all to throw an A/S tire on?
PM sent:

Hmmm . . .

Well what is your goal for this tire and wheel package? From reading your post, it looks like you are going to sell the ZHP wheels with Sumitomo rubber? You do already have a nice set of Nokian all-season tires, so I wouldn't consider any more all-seasons. The Nokians are probably going to last for a long time too.

I also saw that you are thinking about doing some autocross events. To be honest, I would hold off buying tires and wheels until you go to your first event. You will see so many cool wheels and hot tires and can ask people exactly how they like them.

That said, if I was in your shoes, I would buy the brand new set of 18" BBS RC's from fanatic Mkodama for $2000. They are only 18lbs. compared to 24 lbs. for the OEM 19" CSLs. I would also buy a set of Dunlop Direzza Star Specs in 245/40/18 or 235/40/18. The Star Specs are hands-down the best autocross tire- sticky as hell and they warm up very quickly. Treadwear is only 200, so they won't last forever, but several people who autocross also use them on the street and get 15-20k miles on a set- basically two summers. They are only about $800 in 18" sizes, but they don't come in 19" sizes.

I would also keep the ZHP wheels and use them for longer trips in between autocross events. Maybe sell the sumitomos and get a nice used set of tires that you like better.

If you do decide to go for 19" wheels, I would say go for the Michelin Super Sports, although nobody has tried them yet.

The other summer tire that I like is the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. I'm going to be replacing them on my RC's soon with either the Michelin or Dunlops (still undecided) to get a little more grip, but they are outstanding tires- comfortable, long lasting, great in the wet, very good in the dry. They are getting older though, so there may be better choices now. I bought my 18" set for on $600 and got 10 track days, 15 autocross, and about 15-20k miles.

I heard the Hankooks are fairly nice tires, but very soft and not especially geared for performance. Cheap though. I'd probably buy the vredesteins again over Hankooks.

Continental DW also gets good marks, is fairly inexpensive, but I will never buy continental tires again- they don't seem to be very tough.

Either way, try and get your stickiest tires on your lightest wheels. I personally wouldn't put 19's on my car around here, and I think 18" tires cost enough!

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,435 Posts
Hankook's FTW!

OEM 135's FTW!

Option 4: Give curbed ZHP wheels to me, so I can refinish them and have 2 sets!

The only thing I have to suggest if you're really thinking of getting rid of the 135's is to go with a lighter wheel. My car seriously feels a tad piggish after putting those 18's on compared to my style 73 17's. But they're sooo freakin fresh, all the time, just a PITA to clean.

CSL's hmmmt. so fresh, but i'm kinda tired of them, not that you see them around here that much, but still... I dunno. Any BBS wheels that are super light would be a nice choice. Stay the F away from 19's.

As for what he said ^^ about Conti's I couldn't disagree more. I for one will never ever buy anything other than Conti's for my all seasons. I put about 4 years/60K miles on the Conti-touring contact's that I use for the winter, and they're just getting beat now, but are such a solid tire, never had any sort of air leaks, and have hit some bad bumps and tires are all still fine. I just put two DWSs on the wife's rears awhile back too. Next time I get all seasons, I am getting DWSs for sure..

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,435 Posts
Oh, by the way Steve, I don't know how you can say those 135's are the part of your car that bothers you most with that exhaust on there :4ngie:

·
Premium Member
6,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, by the way Steve, I don't know how you can say those 135's are the part of your car that bothers you most with that exhaust on there :4ngie:
Regardless of what I do, I plan to hold onto the 135s... They certainly don't "bother" me... I'm just ready for a change... Been using #135s for about 5 years now...

What's your issue with Dinan exhaust?

·
Registered
Best M5 Ever Made!
7,435 Posts
hmmm, Dinan exhaust.. haven't really heard one in person, but just by looking at it, I think the tips on the UUC TSE3 look so much better the way they follow the valence of the rear bumper, and the shine that comes from not only outside, but inside as well from the dual walls. Oh yeah, then there's the sound :drool: Dinan is not cat-back, correct?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts