E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a pretty hot day around here and I was stuck in traffic at noon for a nice 45 minutes surrounded by other 300 running cars.

I became concerned about the temp raising due to being stuck, with 90F outside and the A/C on so I used the hidden OBC.

To my surprise, the temperature was a stable 89°C, when I got out to the freeway the temp raised to 100°C, then decreased to a solid 95°C and stayed there the rest of the trip (?).

Is this just the way it works or my thermostat is saying goodbye?

Never had a car before that ran cooler in a traffic jam rather than the freeway.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Totally normal our cars have an electrically heated thermostat, during stop and go the element heats up the wax in the thermostat opening it up, lowering the coolant temperature. Highway driving you want higher coolant temps for efficiency so the thermostat closes a bit causing higher temps. Nice system if you ask me!

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,639 Posts
You must have a very good electric fan and/or clutch fan - they are responsible for the low temp at idle after the car has reached op temp. Even with the t stat wide open on a hot day in traffic without working fans you would overheat. On the freeway the dme shut off the fans as speed is an input in the final output calc to fan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts