BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have headers on my car followed by 2 vibrant resonators side by side right after the headers and a straight pipe going out from there. My problem is only at high RPM's the car gets super raspy then it goes away as it gets closer to red lining.

I've had a muffler in it before but all that did was lower the tone of the car overall but the rasp still stayed. I like the tone of the car as it is, just not the rasp..

Any ideas of how to deal with this or is it something that's just going to stay so long as i have headers on the car?

·
Registered
497 Posts
From my experience, you're just going to have to deal with it! You might be able to add some cat's down stream and eliminate some of the rasp (with no other functionality from the cats)!

I had a Magnaflow cat-back and added two AR-resonators (very similar to vibrant) before the x-pipe and it did very little to eliminate rasp!

I now have a Borla cat-back and will soon be switching to the Magnaflow headers w/ cats in hopes to eliminate rasp while still having better than stack performance from the headers!

Good luck in your quest....

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You still had rasp with your headers + borla cat-back setup?

Maybe its impossible to fully eliminate it so long as you have cat-less headers.....

I thought the magnaflow cat-back would eliminate the rasp, and don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but there is still just a bit of rasp from 3k RPM to 4.5k RPM or so

·
Registered
497 Posts
You still had rasp with your headers + borla cat-back setup?

Maybe its impossible to fully eliminate it so long as you have cat-less headers.....
Yes, still have rasp with the Borla setup. I am thinking it is impossible to fully eliminate rasp with cat-less headers!

I could never afford it, but would like to hear the SuperSprint setup Turner put on their ZHP project car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts