BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday, my coolant light came on as i was driving home. I thought it was just low and everything else was fine. but then a few minutes later I noticed the temperature started to increase until the gauge was at max and the red light came on. I parked my car and decided to let it cool down. I inspected the fans, and they seem to be working fine. I added more coolant after it had cooled--it was seemed to me completely empty(i dunno how because i just topped it off about 2 weeks ago). I drove it home and noticed the temperature started to climb again, but not all the way to max.

Should i just assume that the water pump needs replacing and order a new one or could there be another reason for this issue? if its just the water pump, i can change that myself this weekend, but just wanted to be sure if those are the symptoms of a broken water pump. The car drove fine all morning, just happened in the afternoon when i was driving home.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
if you checked it and it was completely empty then you have a coolant leak...i dont think its your water pump because if it was then you would be hearing a clacking noise...happens when the propeller on the water pump brakes.

·
Banned
1,169 Posts
Thoroughly inspect for signs of leakage (around Radiator, WP, Exp. Tank, Hoses, Thermostat, everywhere). If no signs are present, then your Head-Gasket is probably shot...

Pressure-Testing is a real good way to find leaks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alot for your help, an hour ago i just added water, and heard water dripping out. i looked under the car, an apparently my drain plug is gone. I guess i need to get a new one, but i dont get how its just gone...
atleast i dont need to get a new motor :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you have an automatic check the electric condenser fan. The auto has two fans instead of 1.

If it stops the radiator gets hot and overflows. Then an Air bubble floats thru your system.

My fan was on and off causing it to heat up then cool down.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
thanks alot for your help, an hour ago i just added water, and heard water dripping out. i looked under the car, an apparently my drain plug is gone. I guess i need to get a new one, but i dont get how its just gone...
atleast i dont need to get a new motor :)
I never heard of those things popping off. Someone doesn't like you.:4ngie:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts