BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 330Cic with 117000. It is a ZHP, vert, driven with top always down, and i push it decently hard. So i get around 15.7 MPG. 91 Octane Fuel. Suddenly it has dropped to 14.4 and i can smell an odd burning smell at high revs from the front. CCV? I also seem to be burning a bit more oil than standard.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
15.7 mpg isn't bad when "pushing it hard".
Yeah, CCV is the first thing I would be looking at.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's not bad. But even after resetting mpg and driving extremely tame for a month it's the same. Think it's convertible drag

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
That, the extra weight and traffic can't be much better in OC, than it is here.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently lowered. Would that make any difference?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Lowering reduces drag at highway speed, so it could even positively affect mpg, but in normal driving has no effect.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I recently lowered. Would that make any difference?

Did you have aligned after you lowered it? You may have introduced additional camber/toe with the new suspension.

If you added heavier wheels and wider tires that also could contribute to the lower mpg.

Oil burning smell, check the valve cover gasket and the lower CCV hose.

Have you replaced the plugs recently? They are 100,000 mile maintenance items.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plugs are fresh. Yes I may need an assignment, looks like front toe could be off. Valve cover is clean. Can I check that hose without taking everything apart

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump. Any other thoughts here?

·
Registered
2006 330ci zhp
1,973 Posts
Plugs are fresh. Yes I may need an assignment, looks like front toe could be off. Valve cover is clean. Can I check that hose without taking everything apart
Try the crankcase vacuum test. With the engine idling, remove the oil cap and hold a piece of paper to the hole. Don't let the paper get sucked in but vacuum should be present and sucking on the paper. If no vacuum then you have a CCV problem.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll try again but last time I checked that with my hand I felt definite suction. Just a little.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump. Had a friend drive this who is quite proficient in e46s and he says vacuum leak maybe. Any responses to places to start? I do have a KN pod intake but this didn't start for 5 months after I'd had it

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For people in this. I recently cleaned my maf and recalibrated throttle. It seems to have cleared the burning smell but still bad mileage. Could this be coolant related at all? Ive had strange coolant level and air issues

1 - 13 of 13 Posts