BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to install a subwoofer in my BMW 325i 2001 E46 but I have never done this sort of thing. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I was thinking of getting something like this but I do not know if this is the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As in a whole set up? I wouldn't really know. I pieced all my stuff together over time. But if I'm not mistaken I think the E type subwoofer made by Alpine is for marine use. I may be wrong though, someone will chime in. Look over the thread I gave you, lot of good ideas and knowledge in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much money you willing to spend and what type of music do you listen to? Are you going to install it or have a shop install it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I listen to various types of music but mostly Drums n bass, electronic, metal. I have been looking to do something like this and mount it like this. My budget is around $300

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can't go wrong wth alpine, i have a 12" type X with a PDX 1000.1 Amp and it sounds amazing no matter what type music i listen too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes you will need an amp for it, that's a good deal you found though. the best i can find for an amp is over $200. Just remember you get what you pay for. and trust me, you can tell the difference in sound quality

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My total budget for this entire system is $300. Can you lead me in the way of good enclosed subs and an amp within that price range?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you have stock speakers upfront? If you do, I'd wait and save up a little more and get a set of decent component front speakers. Your sound stage will sound a whole lot better and will make your subs worth the purchase. You can also get a multi channel amp to power both and save some room. Checkout woofersect.com, they have good prices.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
:rofl: Can't believe people actually pay that much for audio equipment when you can get better for less.

OP-That package deal you listed (if you are in fact only looking for subs and an amp) is actually a pretty decent deal. Alpine is a great amp, low THD, and remember, 100 watts on a quality amp is comparable to 500 watts on a crappy amp. If you aren't concerned with replacing your door speakers for now, that package deal isn't a bad place to start.

Now, if you DO plan to upgrade the door speakers/components, I'd go with a five channel amp, that way you can supply clean power to the components when you are ready to upgrade.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I personally dont mind the stock non hk speaker set up with just a sub added on. After i did my install i played pink noise through the whole system and tuned it to as flat of a curve as i could using a real time analyzer and the head unit eq controls. it sounds better than a lot of stock systems these days. I say that crutchfield route isnt a bad choice.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Is sonicelectronix a good website as well?
Never heard of them so chances are they're not great. Might be good but to be honest i wouldn't try them when Crutchfield is proven and well priced. Crutchfield has techs you can ask questions about the setup you want or are having troubles with, they do not(didnt see anything in a quick glance)

But on a small side not they do carry a radar/laser "jammer". Crutchfield will never carry something like that because im pretty sure its highly illegal everywhere. So theres the place to get that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts