BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 328i up on jack stands and took the opportunity to shoot several video clips of what actually happens under there when the subframe has torn. Mine is fine on the passenger's side but on the driver's there is numerous tears and an unbelievable amount of flex and movement. I even cut an access hole in the trunk to see what was happening on the top side. There is absolutely no structural stablity left whatsoever. This side of the differential mount may as well be blowin in the wind. You may think things look bad when the car is sitting still - wait till you see these pics. I caused the loading or flex in the suspension by engaging the park brake and letting the clutch out in first gear and in reverse at about 2000 rpm. This is the same forces that the suspension sees when you accelerate or decellerate or corner aggressively.

......After all that my firewire cable is not working - I'll get another one tomorrow and post the video clips asap.

Ultimate Driving Machines should not suffer this major defect. If anyone has an update on the whole class action thing or BMWNA responses to this issue please post them - there are so many threads out there that I've lost track. We should not ignore this as we will all suffer from this at one point in time or another.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i'm scared... i have a 328i...really scared.... :bawling: :cry:

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Uhhh, I am also getting worried 323 here. My car is lowered, so it's really hard to see up in there (gotta use my jack) and check it out.

·
next mod: recaro child seat
2,351 Posts
this is a video that needs to go to BMWNA, the NHTSA, all BMW forums (as well as a few others like the Car Lounge on the Vortex) and any of those news shows that fight for conusmers rights.

(when it finally gets posted ;) )

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its coming - I promise. I agree - it should seen by those organizations. Maybe this will be a good tool to help put this issue to rest. The shots are really quite amazing. It blew me away. I even took shots of the other side under the same circumstances. The difference is more than obvious and might push this right in to a personal safety issue. Rumor is thats what it took in the UK to force BMW in to a blanket solution for all vehicles affected. I'm off to find a new firewire cable right now!

·
TWC Alumni
1,839 Posts
Jeff43 said:
this is a video that needs to go to BMWNA, the NHTSA, all BMW forums (as well as a few others like the Car Lounge on the Vortex) and any of those news shows that fight for conusmers rights.

Seriously. NHTSA is our BEST option. Video, pics plus links to the post with everyone that is affected.

·
Registered
510 Posts
very worried, wondering what i can do to prevent it :dunno:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Jeff43 said:

:werd:

·
Registered
413 Posts
BMWNA will fix it.. i threatned to sue them a few years ago, its now an issue they are more than willing to work with you on. call bmwna, ask for michael.

1 - 20 of 253 Posts