E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I face my 12w7 towards the trunk or towards me?

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,669 Posts
xS3x said:
towards the trunk
I'd agree but technically it wont matter too much. Low bass frequencies are less effected by directional problems you encounter with mids and highs and generally produce bass that extends in all directions from the driver as opposed to more response in the direction the driver is pointed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
(I'd agree but technically it wont matter too much. Low bass frequencies are less effected by directional problems you encounter with mids and highs and generally produce bass that extends in all directions from the driver as opposed to more response in the direction the driver is pointed.)

I absolutely dont agree, if you face the sub to the trunk then you have less bass in the car, but if you face the subs againts the seats AND SEAL around the sub box with somekind of sealing materlial then all the bass will get into your car.

I dont understand you guys (Almost all of you have subs faceing in the drunk) but let me ask you this, why should the bass be in the trunk, do you have anyone riding there tooo??? Ok ok try this one, turn up your headunit and let someone be in the car until you go and open the trunk, then ask the person in the car if the bass got louder when opening the trunk or more quet(either way is WRONG) if you open your trunk then there should be no changes!!!

On the othrer hand if you are just somekind of show offs then I agree with you :)

·
does anyone read my p0sts?
562 Posts
raine24 said:
(I'd agree but technically it wont matter too much. Low bass frequencies are less effected by directional problems you encounter with mids and highs and generally produce bass that extends in all directions from the driver as opposed to more response in the direction the driver is pointed.)
:thumbup:

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,669 Posts
raine24 said:
Ok ok try this one, turn up your headunit and let someone be in the car until you go and open the trunk, then ask the person in the car if the bass got louder when opening the trunk or more quet(either way is WRONG) if you open your trunk then there should be no changes!!!
Uhh, we cant really ride around wiht the trunk open and opening the trunk WILL effect bass because you are turning a sealed closed space into an open air space and this will make a difference.

True, the sub needs to be properly sealed and mounted in an enclosure appropriate for its specs. Enough room should be given in front on the sub driver as it generally requires. Given these conditions pointing forward or backward will experience very very little difference in bass ammount or quality. Again, low frequency sounds are effected very little by the direction the sub driver is pointing. An example of this is to imagine an apartment complex. your upstairs/next door/whatever neighbor may have a sub that rattles your walls. If he points that sub driver to his cieling your walls will rattle and shake just as much as if he pointed the driver straight down to your apartment. You would still hear the low frequency of the sub regardless of the direction it was pointed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Raine24 is 100% correct! Ghost, re-read his post carefully. Like Raine said, if done right there should be no change in what you hear in the car. This means you should SEAL the front of the sub box against the opening behind your seat, so that no bass waves that are meant to be heard in the car can get into the trunk.
If you sit in the car and have someone open and close your trunkand the sound changes at all, you have bass leaking around the box into the trunk. When this happens you will end up with cancellation.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with raine. i had my two JL12w7s initially installed to fire towards the trunk. when I got back from the shop, i spun the box around to fire into the interior and it made a huge difference. especially when i removed the ski pass and put the armrest down. But even with it up, i thought it sounded a bit better. just my opinion.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just be sure to provide some type of opening into the cabin so the bass can get into the cabin easier. Our trunks are sealed very well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have two Lanzar cadmiums in my car 1,5 kw RMS and I tried facing subs to trunk and I hit 121 db, just turning the box around and sealing around it I hit 154db, so 33db is a bretty big difference :)

But can anyone tell me when the subs are towards the trunk like most of the guys here, then are they using sealed enclousures or what? (i hope u understand my question)

·
yo mama
1,566 Posts
how can you seal the front of the sub to the cabin of the car because druing excursion the sub will hit the rear seat? My sub has a very large surround & has a lot of excursion. IDMAX 12"

·
Registered
899 Posts
Delirium, I made a trim ring out of 1 inch thick wood and wrapped it in vinyl. I have fold down seats so this piece fits the opening flush. I then built my box so it mounts flush against this piece, so even when my seats are up the subs are still an inch from the seat. The trim ring does two things, seals the front of the box from the trunk, and sets the subs back a little. Hope this helps. If you have any questions about your install, let me know as I've just about finished mine and I've learned most things the hard way.

Ill post pics as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
11,056 Posts
i've had both set-ups, facing the back is the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only way to tell objectively is to buy a SPL meter from RadioShack - get the cheaper one for around $25 - and a test cd with continous test tones. Then you can experiment with different sub orientations to see which ones work best for your sub and your car.

In my car, my 10" IDQ in a sealed box of 0.7 cu ft puts out the best spl at the driver's seat when it is against the back seat facing the rear of the trunk.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
in a hatchback, its best to face the subs towards the trunk, in sedans..point the subs towards the rear seats..

·
has 1 FLY Ci
1,849 Posts
wont the lisence plate rattle if you face towards the trunk?? I hate that when people roll with their cars with phat systems and their lisence plates rattle. it kills the purpose of having a decent sound system.

Wouldnt facing towards the driver with a rear seat down be the best?? kinda like this..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts