E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While replacing my CAB's I Found out my Subframe reinforcement plate was torn. After checking out Real OEM the Non-M and M part looked similar in their mounting holes. The M plate is beefier all around and has a scoop to vent air to the transmission, in addition to additional protection for the control arms and the same mounts for the plastic skid plate. The parts are the exact same price. So if you need to replace your reinforcement plate there is no reason not to go W/the M3 version.

Part # M3 plate - 51717893609
Part # E46 01+ - 51717028433

Attachments

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Good to know. Curious why no one else has done this. Think it would provide more rigidity as a result?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would that fit on a 2000 E46?
Which have the E36 M3 style reinforcing bars.
In another color!
Joking...got to appreciate structural expressionism!

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
Did you actually install it on your car? I guess I see no reason it wouldn't fit. the subframe is the same part# and the unibody shoud have the same mounting location dimensions (99% sure on that last one)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you actually install it on your car? I guess I see no reason it wouldn't fit. the subframe is the same part# and the unibody shoud have the same mounting location dimensions (99% sure on that last one)
I installed it before the paint, fitment was 100% plus i like it having the extra area covering the control arm. I will post a pic. tommorow when the paint is dry. mounted on the car.

The part is 1 solid piece of metal instead of a welded together hollow piece. and has what i assume is a jacking point the old one doesent have and a plastic cover that snaps in place.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
how did you know... lol
Interesting. PM me the price or say it here if you'd like. I'm guessing they charged between $170 and $190 but I'd probably pick it up sooner if they charged $150. Only cause mine has a nasty dent in it.

From pics, the ///M part looks puny. But i trust you that it's beefier. Weight?

Rusnak.. i recognize the invoice... and your location kinda gave it away. you're in my neighborhood!

PS--I hope you bought new bolts!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting. PM me the price or say it here if you'd like. I'm guessing they charged between $170 and $190 but I'd probably pick it up sooner if they charged $150. Only cause mine has a nasty dent in it.

From pics, the ///M part looks puny. But i trust you that it's beefier. Weight?

Rusnak.. i recognize the invoice... and your location kinda gave it away. you're in my neighborhood!

PS--I hope you bought new bolts!
It was $205 w/ CCA discount and suprisingly it was cheaper at rusnak than steve thomas.
Depending how close you are shoot me a PM if you want to stop by and check it out. Have you been on any of the canyon runs that meet @ sc sunday W/josh I may have met you before.

Good point on the bolts I picked them up for the CAB's but not the plate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would that fit on a 2000 E46?
Which have the E36 M3 style reinforcing bars.
In another color!
Joking...got to appreciate structural expressionism!
I dont know sorry, but the stock part is for 01+ so you may have to look into it more.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
It was $205 w/ CCA discount and suprisingly it was cheaper at rusnak than steve thomas.
Depending how close you are shoot me a PM if you want to stop by and check it out. Have you been on any of the canyon runs that meet @ sc sunday W/josh I may have met you before.

Good point on the bolts I picked them up for the CAB's but not the plate.
I might have to check it out. I've only been to one or two of his meets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mad8277 - perhaps you could measure the distances between the main corner bolt holes?
I could measure the same on my original style brace and compare.
I've wondered about it and looked at the ETK drawing, they look different, but haven't compared physically or searched extensively.
The control arm protection and the NACA air duct are pretty cool upgrades.
Good one!

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
Mad8277 - perhaps you could measure the distances between the main corner bolt holes?
I could measure the same on my original style brace and compare.
I've wondered about it and looked at the ETK drawing, they look different, but haven't compared physically or searched extensively.
The control arm protection and the NACA air duct are pretty cool upgrades.
Good one!
I think he already test fitted it. I see no reason why both cars would use different mounting points. I am curious, however, as to why BMW uses two different plates. The jack pad and air duct seem like two worthy upgrades alone. Stiffer??

I need SS and GK to chime in.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
Did you actually fit it? On the M3, two points bolt right into the control arm bushing housing. As far as I'm aware, the non-M control arm bushing housings don't have any threads

I might be getting under my car this weekend. I'll try to take pictures of the mounting points if I do go under.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks thin compared to the M54 plate, but the foldings add rigidity and you have to figure the M engineers did their FME etc. analysis in order to come up with a lightweight reinforcing member. The fixing of the plate by the multiple bolts also reduces the need for thickness (mass). Would be interesting to compare weights of the M54 and S54 reinforcing plates. Also see earlier post by cyberkaa who installed this as part of S54 to 325i swap ca. 2011.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
Did you actually fit it? On the M3, two points bolt right into the control arm bushing housing. As far as I'm aware, the non-M control arm bushing housings don't have any threads

I might be getting under my car this weekend. I'll try to take pictures of the mounting points if I do go under.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2l/Suspension/Control_Arm/Bushings/ES49173/

Looks the same as non-M to me. I think this should fit. the stamped unibody should be identical, no? if so, the holes will be of the same dimensions and location. only equipment would alter anything.

·
Registered
30,045 Posts
Looks thin compared to the M54 plate, but the foldings add rigidity and you have to figure the M engineers did their FME etc. analysis in order to come up with a lightweight reinforcing member. The fixing of the plate by the multiple bolts also reduces the need for thickness (mass). Would be interesting to compare weights of the M54 and S54 reinforcing plates. Also see earlier post by cyberkaa who installed this as part of S54 to 325i swap ca. 2011.
there you go. nice analysis, btw.

only thing i can see preventing the fit would be the control arms. they seem to be of roughly the same shape as the non-M arm, so i don't think it'd be a problem.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts