BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I own a 1999 323ci and it now joins many others with a torn subframe mounting.

BMW will NOT claim liability, which is absurd, the evidence is overwhelming. I can not afford to pay $6000 - $8000 AU to repair this problem.

I would like as many of you as possible to comment on this wall in support if you too have a torn sub frame as i will send another serious letter to BMW AG.

Currently they have offered to give me a boot floor plan, and the strengthening epoxy used in the repair, a list value of $2100 they state. It would cost them about $100, seriously unfair to place the owness on an individual for such a huge repair when this large entirpise is at fault.

PLEASE HELP ME BY PROVIDING ANY INFORMATION THAT MAY ASSIST ME!

eg.

1) Basyo1 - 1999 323ci - 165,000 km. Left Subframe Mounting

Would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
26,267 Posts
Guys, I own a 1999 323ci and it now joins many others with a torn subframe mounting.

BMW will NOT claim liability, which is absurd, the evidence is overwhelming. I can not afford to pay $6000 - $8000 AU to repair this problem.

I would like as many of you as possible to comment on this wall in support if you too have a torn sub frame as i will send another serious letter to BMW AG.

Currently they have offered to give me a boot floor plan, and the strengthening epoxy used in the repair, a list value of $2100 they state. It would cost them about $100, seriously unfair to place the owness on an individual for such a huge repair when this large entirpise is at fault.

PLEASE HELP ME BY PROVIDING ANY INFORMATION THAT MAY ASSIST ME!

eg.

1) Basyo1 - 1999 323ci - 165,000 km. Left Subframe Mounting

Would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
The boot floor plan? As in a template to lay down so you know where to drill holes to insert the epoxy?

I don't have the rip when they checked it...will do so soon again, but was myself thinking of that epoxy fix...but don't think it's a 'fix' if you're already ripped...or have anything but a fine crack beginning. They're actually two different foams used in the TIS I'd read...one to create borders of a cavity, into which the stronger foam goes.

GL OP...you've told them that you know that there's a well-known settlement for this issue in the US...ask them if only the US e46's are failing, and if so, why they're building ours differently than yours.

Doug

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The boot floor plan? As in a template to lay down so you know where to drill holes to insert the epoxy?

I don't have the rip when they checked it...will do so soon again, but was myself thinking of that epoxy fix...but don't think it's a 'fix' if you're already ripped...or have anything but a fine crack beginning. They're actually two different foams used in the TIS I'd read...one to create borders of a cavity, into which the stronger foam goes.

GL OP...you've told them that you know that there's a well-known settlement for this issue in the US...ask them if only the US e46's are failing, and if so, why they're building ours differently than yours.

Doug
No all 1999-March 2001 e46 globally are effected (a new floor plan was introduced early 2001 as the racing e46's realized the cracks were evident, as they were under much more stress then a regular street car).

"The boot floor plan?" Literally, they are giving me a new boot floor as the sub frame is welded onto this, this is component that fails, it is 3mm thick when it should be around 10mm thick. That is where BMW screwed up big time...

BUT i have to bloody cut out my own boot floor and replace it with this new post 2001 one. $6000-$8000!

Its a joke

·
Registered
26,267 Posts
No all 1999-March 2001 e46 globally are effected (a new floor plan was introduced early 2001 as the racing e46's realized the cracks were evident, as they were under much more stress then a regular street car).

"The boot floor plan?" Literally, they are giving me a new boot floor as the sub frame is welded onto this, this is component that fails, it is 3mm thick when it should be around 10mm thick. That is where BMW screwed up big time...

BUT i have to bloody cut out my own boot floor and replace it with this new post 2001 one. $6000-$8000!

Its a joke
I think the whole repair here costs around $5-6000...at least that's what I've heard...

Fight it and I wish you luck. I will say this, though...the fact that they'll give you the floor and the filler for free is an acknowledgment on their part that there's an issue. That itself might give you some leverage there...and sorry, bmw, but maybe in your regional forum you can gather up a class as was done here and get satisfaction for all of you down under.

Guess that's one good thing about the number of lawyers we have here in the US! LOL

Good luck, man...sucks I know!

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts