BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im glad I found this forum

I brought my 99 323i in to my mechanic to replace an axle that I thought was the cause of the clunking noise (sort of like a bad universal noise) when I accelerated ... he was also to install new shocks.

While the car was there overnight, I noticed this posting on subframe lawsuit and emailed it to my mechanic. The next day he called and said he had good& bad news... the bad news being my subframe is moving and that is what is causing the clunking... the good news is that he read the thread and followed the link.

I called local BMW dealer and explained what my mechanic found and the manager said that I should bring it on Friday because the regional service manager was scheduled to do inspections on that day. I did what he said and when I called at 3:00 to see what the verdict was, I was told they could not perform the inspection because I did not have a "letter" from BMW. I explained that I wasn't aware that I needed one and only did what was requested by HIM.
He began to explain that I my springs were broken in the back and quoted me a price for like $650 to replace them. I explained that my mechanic was aware of this and will not repair until AFTER subframe issue was addressed.

I called BMW and requested a letter. They stated they would fax it to dealership. IM STILL WAITING FOR APPOINTMENT.

MY QUESTION IS: COULD A FAULTY SUBFRAME CAUSE MY SPRINGS TO BREAK AT ENDS?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts