BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alco-ma-holic
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm not too into ICE, but I do listen to mostly rap and like to have my music somewhat loud. My questoins are:

1) I tend to cram a lot of crap in my trunk for when I go home for breaks from school and stuff like that. So is an amp and ONE 10inch sub worth it??? Would I turn a few more heads with just one sub in the back? If so, how much is good price for a mid-price range sub???

2) If one 10 wont do enough, should I look into getting 2 10's or one 12?

My criteria: I dont wanna spend a lot on this, and I dont need it to be crystal clear either. I just want to feel those bass hits in the songs. I dont want the guy down the street to hear me coming, but when i get close, i want him to know its not stock.

TIA guys, your always a big help when it comes to me spending all my money.

Eric
///Miller

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had about the same criteria for my 328 - Good sound, didn't want to spend a fortune, use my trunk, etc.

I went with the JL Audio Stealth Boxes, MB Quart DSC components and an RF 400.4 Power amp (already owned the amp). The sound is good and tight, and can be PLENTY loud. It will distort if you crank it, but for my needs, it all sounds great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
MillsBims said:
how much were the JL's and the amp???

Thanks again,

Eric
I've had the amp for a few years, but I think you can pick one up for around $350 on Crutchfield - it would be called a Power 400x these days. The Punch series is also very good (I'm NOT a car-audiophile!) for my needs - had one for a while. It has speaker level inputs, but no remote bass control. I like the remote because I can keep the head unit (I kept the factory unit) gain at a minimum and control bass response with the remote. The speaker level inputs did a fine job with my head unit - the alternator whine was impreceptable.

I forget the exact price of the stealth boxes, but I know they were less than $250. I had to order them from a local shop - virtually no one had them online. The installation difficulty was moderate - I have the 6-disk trunk changer, so I had to modify the housing on the driver side sub (if you are not familiar, the JL Stealth boxes for our cars are 2 8" subs mounted in a rigid, injection-molded, fiber-reinficed plastic. It may not sound like it, but it is a pretty good quality assembly).

Jason

·
Registered
265 Posts
in my previous m3 I had mbquart 3-ways, alpine head, jl stealthboxes powered by a jl300/4. This sounded great and did not distort at any volume. The stealths provided good tight bass but didnt hit like super hard. I liked the system overall a lot. The problem is that once my lease was up and I got my 330 like none of the **** fits this car. So basically its a $2500-3000 pain in my ass that sits in a box in my room. I think for this car I am just gonna get a bass tube or two and use my 300/4 amp to power it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hah! That sounds like my problem too. All the stuff from my e36 setup wouldn't fit, except for the amps. I decided to just mark it off as a lost cause and try to sell the old equipment on ebay and buy a whole new setup.

I REALLY wish JL audio would've let me just buy the friggin enclosure for the e46 - considering both of their stealths use the exact same 8" sub, its just the enclosures are shaped differently.

Oh well..

Nutz330ci said:
in my previous m3 I had mbquart 3-ways, alpine head, jl stealthboxes powered by a jl300/4. This sounded great and did not distort at any volume. The stealths provided good tight bass but didnt hit like super hard. I liked the system overall a lot. The problem is that once my lease was up and I got my 330 like none of the **** fits this car. So basically its a $2500-3000 pain in my ass that sits in a box in my room. I think for this car I am just gonna get a bass tube or two and use my 300/4 amp to power it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am very happy with my setup.

Eclipse headunit (3 preouts - key)
seperate JLs on the doors - 6 1/4
component JLs on the back dash - 6.5
One JL 10 inch sub
JL 300/4 amp for the components
JL 250/1 amp for the sub

Sounds out of this world. Doesn't break glass, but sounds very musical and full. Loud as I need it and clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts