BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, made an account here and there's something I've been looking at today. The only thread where someone has Style 197s is nearly a decade old. My only issue is, I have a 323i (15' stock wheel size I believe?) and the Style 197s are 18'. I want to know if anyone else runs Style 197s on their E46 and what I should know to go through with this.

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, but thanks in advance!

·
:D
7,842 Posts
the wheel size isn't what matters as much as the offset. based on some pictures i've seen, i believe it should work. but the 18" diameter is not the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey man, I run 197's on my coupe. Stock suspension, stock brakes. My tires are 225/40 R18 in the front and 245/35 R18 in the rear. They are nowhere near big enough to have any scrubbing at stock height. I think it gives the car a much needed update from those 16" 5 spokes.

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man, I run 197's on my coupe. Stock suspension, stock brakes. My tires are 225/40 R18 in the front and 245/35 R18 in the rear. They are nowhere near big enough to have any scrubbing at stock height. I think it gives the car a much needed update from those 16" 5 spokes. View attachment 908971 View attachment 908972
The 323i runs 15', should i still be alright even though it's only an inch smaller than yours stock? I'll obviously need new tires

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 323i runs 15', should i still be alright even though it's only an inch smaller than yours stock? I'll obviously need new tires
Yes. The wheel wells can fit 19s when spaces right. Offset is the important number. Most BMW wheels will fit rather well on other BWM models.

As you see from the picture, these fit like factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah, you'll have no issues. fr33man's right, offset is what you need to worry about. As you can see, its like 197's were made for this car! New tires for sure. I'm running a set Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+.

·
Registered
'04 330ci 6MT
274 Posts
Style 197s were made for the E90. The offset is 34 front 37 rear. An 18" made for the E46 (eg style 135) have offsets of 47 front 50 rear. This means the style 197 will extend 13mm more form the hub. They'll look better and probably won't rub (as verified by the fanatics above who run then) but they will increase the stress on your suspension components a little (and may alter your geometry, I don't know). In other words, not what the BMW engineers considered optimal but you'll get away with it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Style 197s were made for the E90. The offset is 34 front 37 rear. An 18" made for the E46 (eg style 135) have offsets of 47 front 50 rear. This means the style 197 will extend 13mm more form the hub. They'll look better and probably won't rub (as verified by the fanatics above who run then) but they will increase the stress on your suspension components a little (and may alter your geometry, I don't know). In other words, not what the BMW engineers considered optimal but you'll get away with it.
I run style 72m with 15mm spacers all around and have no rubbing. 13mm is ample clearance.

These wheels would look really clean on an e46.

·
:D
7,842 Posts
Hey man, I run 197's on my coupe. Stock suspension, stock brakes. My tires are 225/40 R18 in the front and 245/35 R18 in the rear. They are nowhere near big enough to have any scrubbing at stock height. I think it gives the car a much needed update from those 16" 5 spokes.
hey these pics make the wheels look great! classic look and great color car.

overall, the tire diameter stays the same (because the 18" tire is thinner therefore is the same diameter across). so in the grand scheme of things, you're not really changing much if the offset is roughly the same, which they appear to be according to the pics above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts