BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i know i will get laughed at badly for this, but i'm a car newb and i need to know...

what exactly is redline?

my tachometer goes up to 7K rpm, but the red section already starts at 6K. I assume 7K is redline, but why is the section between 6K and 7K red? is it bad for the engine to go above 6K?

·
Alpha Male
6,560 Posts
redline is where the red starts so about 6500 RPM.

It's prolly a little low, but BMW prollly sets it that way for preventative measures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, then i can take my car higher than 6K rpm, and actually achieve my top speed... thx clem :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
yeah...the only way u can blow your engine is from a downshift. Like 5-2 instead of 5-4. Otherwise w/ upshifting you'll just ping it off the rev-limiter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Like the others already said: you won't blow the engine up. Just try to hold it in 3th gear untill the car doesn't accelerate anymore. Then you know where the rev limiter is situated.

You will notice that the car won't accelerate much above 6k rpm. Your gearing probably won't allow you to pass the redline in 5th gear.

Be safe and watch out for the cops. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts