BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.
What am I doing wrong? Where the F does this gasket go?
I read a post on here about ordering this gasket to stop the constant seeping of PS fluid, but I couldn't figure out where the hell to put it.

Clearly this is incorrect:

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
Your old gasket ring looks like it's part of the cap ...just on top of the threads...very well hidden...use an o ring removal tool or something else with care.

That said, I guess if you're getting a new one, you might've assumed you had one there, but I doubt it's missing...just well hidden...it's there...and you're not the first to miss it.

D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was pretty dark out. I did try digging around in the cap with my pocket knife, but if there's a gasket there, it's long since turned into a lump of hard plastic...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha. I can rebuild my VANOS by myself, but I can't find the gasket in my power steering cap.
*shame*

·
Banned
799 Posts
^ what this guy said.

My reservoir always leak from somewhere near the cap. I even replaced the reservoir and hoses and it still somehow leaks and spills the fluid on top of the reservoir...

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
^ what this guy said.

My reservoir always leak from somewhere near the cap. I even replaced the reservoir and hoses and it still somehow leaks and spills the fluid on top of the reservoir...
There is a weep hole....

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
is this really a serious thread? like really?
It's evidently serious for the OP...and as for the weep hole, you know, after replacing my gasket a year ago...dry as a bone. Filled to full, not below, not above.

I sometimes think that lots of the leaking is due to overfilling and or particularly hard driving...or, lots of turning of the wheels with no movement associated with it. That has to put the pump to working a lot, I'd think.

Anyway, ciandr, you think OP was kidding or that we're idiots for responding with anything other than a 'search'? Me, I feel sorry for OP...a little thing, easy to explain, and I remember the first time I started looking at PS cap...wondering why it leaked...and did not see a gasket either.

Peace out!

Doug

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Un frigging believable.

I cracked the frigging reservoir when my wrench slipped as I was trying to unscrew the oil filter cap.
But I got the gasket on the cap!

Fix one leak, cause another. Awesome.

At least the reservoir is only like $40.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Why do you need a wrench for the power steering cap? It is hand tight. Same for the expansion tank cap.

Don't over tighten the caps. They are all plastic.

·
Apple Jews
9,702 Posts
:rofl:

i love the tags in this thread.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you need a wrench for the power steering cap? It is hand tight. Same for the expansion tank cap.

Don't over tighten the caps. They are all plastic.
Wrench was to take off the OIL filter cap - it came loose quicker than I expected and the wrench slammed into the power steering cap (cracking the reservoir) just after I got the gasket installed.

And yea... the tags fit pretty well I think :)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Go slow and with control motion. I am really carefully working in any tight space.

Damn, I have heard of people breaking windshield when changing wiper blades. That sucks bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts