BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
99% Stock
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i turn off my car with shifter in neutral and if i don't press the clutch pedal, i get a rattle. When i do press the clutch and turn it off, i don't get the rattle. Is this normal? Does it hurt to depress the clutch and turn it off? :huh: Thanks.

·
99% Stock
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now, i always park in a flat level parking lot at college. It would be worse if some drunk moron hit my car while parking and broke my transmission.
I heard if you get hit while parked in gear, it jacks stuff up, but what exactly?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have always been taught that with a manual you should leave it in gear and use the hand brake. As far as getting hit while parked, your car's going to be screwed up anyway and that's what insurance is for. I learned the hard way. I forgot I had left the car in neutral and just the hand brake was on...well it didn't hold and the car rolled down a slight incline into a telephone pole. Lucky it didn't kill someone. Now I use both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts