E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've noticed this since I changed to the Iridium sparkplugs. In the morning, when the car is idling and slowly dropping from 1k revs to about its normal 700 revs it stumbles crazily. The revs suddenly drop from 1k to 700 and it feels/sounds like the engine is about to shut off, only to recatch itself and bounce a bit over 1k.

Any suggestions? There are no lights that come up on the dash, not even the check engine light. I've replaced the intake cam sensor before, so I think I can rule this out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
had the same problem with my 328ci and had the dealer replace vanos under warranty. rough idle no longer occurred. FYI

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately I don't like where the pointers point, to the VANOS unit. My car is way over 60k and therfore out of warranty. Any ideas how much to replace the unit? Can this be done without taking it to a BMW mechanic?

·
Registered
0 Posts
ditto on the out of warranty! im sure ive pointed this out to them once or twice on every service visit ive made in warranty though.. should they still honor it? im taking my car back for electrical issues because those asses at sterling f*cked up once again and my heated seats no longer work. my car with the rough cold start idle actually shut off for the first time a couple of nights ago when i was letting the car idle.

gig said:
Thanks for the pointers. Unfortunately I don't like where the pointers point, to the VANOS unit. My car is way over 60k and therfore out of warranty. Any ideas how much to replace the unit? Can this be done without taking it to a BMW mechanic?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems we are not alone. It's like an epidemic, especially for the 99-00 328's.
I feel a bit relieved now that it might very well be the VANOS unit, atleast insofar that I know the culprit, the price is another story. Seems its about 1000 to 1500 dollars to replace.

Check this link out: VANOS stumbling

·
Registered
248 Posts
gig said:
ouch, the parts and labor should be well in the 800-1400 range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts