·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
thats some pretty thorough analysis!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, they top off the oil every 1000 mile with 1/2 quart. Now after 10K miles and 10 top offs, that would be an oil change.

I now not really, but that is alot to add. 1/2 every 1000 miles. Right?

·
Obey my dog
2,616 Posts
Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages. This has also been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers are actually causing more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it.
One thing we're pretty sure about though: 3,000-mile intervals is a huge waste of resources.
hmm, very interesting article

·
Registered
742 Posts
that's interesting because GC and MS analysis of oil shows that as the oil stays in the engine longer, the number of particulates which are 'responsible' for engine wear also increase.

Good link, i'll send it over to BITOG and see what the guys there have to say about it.

One thing though, the longer you keep oil in your engine, the more varnish you're forming in the block, in that respect you are preventing wear. But at what cost?

·
Registered
742 Posts
yeah scheduled maintance by bmw is oil change every 15k...and they stake their warranty on that!!

nevertheless...i agree with the report...i'll change at 7500-8000 miles traveled.

good report though!

·
Registered
314 Posts
oil

Asmodeus said:
that's interesting because GC and MS analysis of oil shows that as the oil stays in the engine longer, the number of particulates which are 'responsible' for engine wear also increase.

Good link, i'll send it over to BITOG and see what the guys there have to say about it.

One thing though, the longer you keep oil in your engine, the more varnish you're forming in the block, in that respect you are preventing wear. But at what cost?
To the best of my knowledge there is no varnish build when you use synthetic oil.
vern

·
Registered
721 Posts
Asmodeus said:

Varnish is not repsonsible for wear prevention.

·
Registered
726 Posts
great article....HA! to all you bmw oil change dissers who think that synthetics dont last 15000 miles....why would bmw put their money on the line(warranty) if their oil didnt last that long?! :dunno:

·
Registered
417 Posts
huntmdwn said:
great article....HA! to all you bmw oil change dissers who think that synthetics dont last 15000 miles....why would bmw put their money on the line(warranty) if their oil didnt last that long?! :dunno:
BMW is very smart and very thorough in their investigations regarding warranties! Do not be fooled that they know alot more than we do. BMW knows that running 15K between oil changes will have little or no effect on the motor over 36-50K miles (the distance they cover under warranty) with the average driver and since they are paying for those oil changes, they want to minimize the costs as much as possible!

No report or analysis on any oil will EVER convince me that 15,000 miles is an acceptable range to change oil in a modern internal combustion engine!

I have raced motorcycles for many years and use $20 a quart synthetic racing oil in my racebikes. I have tested these oil on various occasions and some of the tested samples have less than 200 track miles and the oil is SHOT!!!

Granted I do not drive my car like I ride my racebikes, but I am no ***** foot either, so oil must be changed every 5K at the most for my liking and driving habits Just my .02!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts