E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an O2 sensor socket set. It has 7 pieces. Had it for a long time never used it. I can only get 1 to fit properly out of the 7. Its a 22mm, but its a wingnut type look to it. I can post the image if you need to see it. The problem is its not a socket I'm trying to loosen from directly above it. The drive opening is off to the side of the o2 sensor. I can't get good leverage. I'm strong so that is not the problem.

I have heard people use a torch, or you have to run your car and get it really hot. I've used penetrating oil on it everyday as it sits. No go. The real hell is replacing the exhaust manifold if its baked in there and won't loosen.

I have thought of trying to find "extra" deep well sockets. I found one company that makes them but they are expensive. Since nothing that goes over the top will make the length to the bottom.

I have already cut the wire coming from the sensor so there is no worries about that.

I'm down to a "extra" deep well socket or they sell and adjustable head o2 sensor wrench that has some play.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Please inform with any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,681 Posts
This is what I use and have had no problems. If you used something similar to the short, stubby socket in this picture, did you turn it the right way? You need to turn the wrench with the extension counter-clockwise to loosen. Due to the slots cut into these sockets, if you're really cranking on it, you may want to put a vise grip on it to prevent the slots from opening up.
Wood Composite material Carbon Plastic Hardwood

·
Registered
947 Posts
In my case I took it to a garage they got the large remains out and wanted to remove the manifolds to do the other so i did it.
They had been in for 225K miles and were very stuck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I use and have had no problems. If you used something similar to the short, stubby socket in this picture, did you turn it the right way? You need to turn the wrench with the extension counter-clockwise to loosen. Due to the slots cut into these sockets, if you're really cranking on it, you may want to put a vise grip on it to prevent the slots from opening up.
View attachment 958456
Yes bro. C-C of course. I have both of the pieces in your pic. They get "baked" in bro. After 228k miles. I have no idea if the previous owner(s) ever replaced these. Had it since 14'! Supposed to be replaced every 100 max I think.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I went in eyes wide open and tried, then I gave it to the garage who actually make exhausts. They got one out and I drilled/hammered the remaining one out.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,327 Posts
The problem with those crow's foot tools is that they spread. It doesn't help that some are actually marginally larger (the ones labelled 7/8in vs 22mm), cheap Chinese materials and the natural stiction of the O2 sensor itself. If you can find heavy duty clamps in your area, snug it up real good (you can get the HD ones really tight) and give it a go. The example below was extracted with no heat and after the sensor was already rounded from 2 previous attempts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with those crow's foot tools is that they spread. It doesn't help that some are actually marginally larger (the ones labelled 7/8in vs 22mm), cheap Chinese materials and the natural stiction of the O2 sensor itself. If you can find heavy duty clamps in your area, snug it up real good (you can get the HD ones really tight) and give it a go. The example below was extracted with no heat and after the sensor was already rounded from 2 previous attempts.

I rented a 3 piece set from auto store (rent is 100% free). They gave me a silver 22mm deep well that fits perfect. The sockets in the 7 piece kit I got, there are 2 deep wells that are 22mm and they don't fit because the ridges and the way the wells are molded I think. So, now, I have what I need and will post a pic soon. Problem is it still won't come loose with this one either.

What do you think about using scalding hot water and pouring it directly on it? I think spray it with penetrating oil, let it sit for a few minutes then pour the scalding hot water on it to loosen it up? I don't have a torch so I'd have to go get one. By now, it would be coming loose. So, I'm near the end of this one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
1,681 Posts
I rented a 3 piece set from auto store (rent is 100% free). They gave me a silver 22mm deep well that fits perfect. The sockets in the 7 piece kit I got, there are 2 deep wells that are 22mm and they don't fit because the ridges and the way the wells are molded I think. So, now, I have what I need and will post a pic soon. Problem is it still won't come loose with this one either.

What do you think about using scalding hot water and pouring it directly on it? I think spray it with penetrating oil, let it sit for a few minutes then pour the scalding hot water on it to loosen it up? I don't have a torch so I'd have to go get one. By now, it would be coming loose. So, I'm near the end of this one way or the other.
Hot water can only be 100 degC and no hotter. Your exhaust manifold can exceed that by itself. Hot water won't do anything. You need MAPP gas torch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hot water can only be 100 degC and no hotter. Your exhaust manifold can exceed that by itself. Hot water won't do anything. You need MAPP gas torch.

Thanks boss! And on the saga goes. I will post back when I get going with the torch.

Thank you all.......for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll give this a whirl before buying/renting a torch. Worth a shot. The fact I've got a direct fit of a deep well socket and it won't budge though. Not thinking this will make a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts