BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post.

My car 2002 325i with 124k miles and automatic transmission.

I was waiting for the light to turn green so I could turn left but when it did, the car would not move at all, no matter what gear (reverse, drive, steptronic). So I just had it towed to my house since it's almost 1 am here.

I bought the car in February for $8k and within 2 weeks had to replace the entire cooling system but other than that it's ran just fine. So basically, I'm looking for advice. What should my next step be? I know the transmission is gone? Can I get decent money if I just sell it in this condition? What do you guys recommend?

Sorry for any grammatical or spelling errors but i'm a lithe stressed right now. Thanks you all in advance. I've been reading posts on this forum for a while and you guys seem to be very knowledgable so I thought i'd come here and ask.

Sincerely,
Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Was the parking brake up? :eeps:

Would the engine rev or just idle?

Have you tried again?

Shot in the dark, but try disconnecting your negative battery cable for 5 or 10 mins and try again

(manual>* :eeps:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The parking brake was not up. I tried turning the car off and trying again but it wouldn't move. The engine would just sit there and rev. :bawling:

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
would it rev like it was in neutral

would the car roll freely (it wasnt stuck in park)

have you gotten under the car to see if your drive shaft is rotating? It could be your diff or your half shaft.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would it rev like it was in neutral

would the car roll freely (it wasnt stuck in park)

have you gotten under the car to see if your drive shaft is rotating? It could be your diff or your half shaft.
The car rolls freely but I haven't gotten a chance to get underneath and look at the driveshaft. But most likely you guys think it's the tranny?

·
Ceiling missing!
1,761 Posts
You can just have the transmission either rebuilt, just change out the torque converter like you would change a clutch on a manual transmission. I had a similiar experience, but that was because I was retarded in my first car I ever owned. I was bored at a light, started throwing my car in P to D back and forth tranny just gave out on me. Car would only rev in every gear. Just changed out the torque converter and the car was all good.

My girlfriend flooded her car several years ago she drove her civic into a flood like a retard. Took out the o2 sensors, TPS sensor, MAF sensor, and etc. It was so annoying. Car would die out and start revving when I would drive. If your lucky it could just be a fuse or a ecu problem. :) Test your luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can just have the transmission either rebuilt, just change out the torque converter like you would change a clutch on a manual transmission. I had a similiar experience, but that was because I was retarded in my first car I ever owned. I was bored at a light, started throwing my car in P to D back and forth tranny just gave out on me. Car would only rev in every gear. Just changed out the torque converter and the car was all good.

My girlfriend flooded her car several years ago she drove her civic into a flood like a retard. Took out the o2 sensors, TPS sensor, MAF sensor, and etc. It was so annoying. Car would die out and start revving when I would drive. If your lucky it could just be a fuse or a ecu problem. :) Test your luck.
I'll try again in the morning. So is it possible to change just the torque converter or does the tranny have to be rebuilt, replaced?

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
I'll try again in the morning. So is it possible to change just the torque converter or does the tranny have to be rebuilt, replaced?
Usually not the torque converter, but parts inside the transmission that either wear or break. Do you have any warnings on your instrument cluster?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually not the torque converter, but parts inside the transmission that either wear or break. Do you have any warnings on your instrument cluster?
No there were absolutely no warnings, which is what surprised me. when I pressed the accelerator to go, I heard a noise and it didn't move. Also, when I try to put it in any gear and then put it back in P, it makes a weird... almost like a "crying" noise. I just don't wanna go to the mechanic and get ripped so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can.

Sincerely,
Jay

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
Well, if you have a 2002 325i like what you list, then if the transmission did fail, you get a gear with an exclamation point inside it on your instrument cluster, right next to where it says which gear you are in. If you don't have that light, something sounds seriously wrong there and I would immediately suspect an accident car or a cheaply done repair in a previous ownership. Something broken in the driveline could be the issue, which luckily by itself is cheaper, but the reason it's broken to begin with could mean something bad.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, if you have a 2002 325i like what you list, then if the transmission did fail, you get a gear with an exclamation point inside it on your instrument cluster, right next to where it says which gear you are in. If you don't have that light, something sounds seriously wrong there and I would immediately suspect an accident car or a cheaply done repair in a previous ownership.

yeah I don't see that error light on my dash at all. I believe it was in an accident and they replaced the left rear suspension and connecting linkage (?). Should I contact the guys that did the repair (done in May)? Would they do anything about it?

·
Registered
33,108 Posts
If the transmission isn't broken, then likely part of your driveline is broken. If you aren't mechanically inclined, I suggest asking around and finding a trustworthy mechanic.

I would simply jack up the rear of the car so the rear wheels are off the ground(not with the emergency jack), have an assistant put the car into drive (don't press accelerator), and your issue should become obvious. If not, have assistant slowly engage hand brake to simulate load. If still everything appears normal, apply light throttle.

I wanna say one of the half shafts is damaged and is spinning around, and since the car doesn't have a limited slip differential, all power gets sent to that loose shaft.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the transmission isn't broken, then likely part of your driveline is broken. If you aren't mechanically inclined, I suggest asking around and finding a trustworthy mechanic.

I would simply jack up the rear of the car so the rear wheels are off the ground(not with the emergency jack), have an assistant put the car into drive (don't press accelerator), and your issue should become obvious. If not, have assistant slowly engage hand brake to simulate load. If still everything appears normal, apply light throttle.

I wanna say one of the half shafts is damaged and is spinning around, and since the car doesn't have a limited slip differential, all power gets sent to that loose shaft.
I mean I know about cars more than the average person (I do minor maintenance on my own) but I'm no expert. I'll try your advice and see what's wrong. I really think it's the half-shafts as well. The noise sounded like something broke. :confused::cry: I'll try and pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
yeah I don't see that error light on my dash at all. I believe it was in an accident and they replaced the left rear suspension and connecting linkage (?). Should I contact the guys that did the repair (done in May)? Would they do anything about it?
I had a friend who crashed his E46 and the shop that fixed his car forgot to tighten the half shaft from the differential. It was left finger tight.

Needless to say, some time later, his half shaft pretty much just fell off and he was left in the same situation that you are in now.

I recommend going outside and spending a free 5 mins with a flashlight :rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a friend who crashed his E46 and the shop that fixed his car forgot to tighten the half shaft from the differential. It was left finger tight.

Needless to say, some time later, his half shaft pretty much just fell off and he was left in the same situation that you are in now.

I recommend going outside and spending a free 5 mins with a flashlight :rolleyes:
Haha you're right, I shall stop being lazy. I will definitely get underneath the car and see if the half-shaft is broken. I'll post pics as well. Is this is a cheap repair?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts

If the *axle* is still connected to the diff on both sides, then the half shafts arent the problem.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Haha you're right, I shall stop being lazy. I will definitely get underneath the car and see if the half-shaft is broken. I'll post pics as well. Is this is a cheap repair?
Would be alot cheaper than a new transmission, Ill just put it that way.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts