BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I***8217;m in midst differential bushing replace DIY. I managed to get differential out, old cracked bushings out, and new ones pressed in. My half shaft came out when I dropped the diff. I see the white dot meant to help re-align, but front half is obscured by heat shield and exhaust. Scoping the flanges and nuts on the exhaust near manifold and the flanges and nuts would definitely crumble if I tried to remove. Do I put everything back together, expect it to shake a bit and take to an exhaust shop to replace flanges or an Indy shop to do this and re-align my shaft? I***8217;m 100 miles from home without a second car.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Cut the flange bolts and replace with stainless from a hardware store. Use a high temp RTV when you reassemble.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply @ctlikon. I did a bunch of reading and discovered, it***8217;s possible to replace shaft without dropping exhaust. Will definitely replace flanges and nuts/bolts with stainless when I have access to a shop. New question though. Getting the rear part of the shaft up and connected wasn***8217;t that hard. I had the exhaust pulled down enough. The UV joint at the dif side was about an inch from the dif flange. I used the long poly truck to pull it close. The splined side now has exposed splines which seems wrong to me but I can***8217;t see where you***8217;d adjust anything to make it longer. The rear half has a cone shaped nut on it that some folks have used a pipe wrench on. I guess that would cover some of the exposed splines but would engage a longe section of them. Is this how it***8217;s supposed to be?

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts