BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my title here is the summary. I'll try to explain what happens when I drive. It rolls at idle fine but start moving quicker the car gets lumpy. If I gain a little speed and hit the brakes, there is a squirting/farting noise coming from I think the master cylinder. The brakes don't function well and it almost feels like someone cut a brake line or something. All the lines are fine, no leaks anywhere. Something must have gotten bent or broken. It's on the rear so there are parking brake shoes. Havent tested the parking brake. The car is a 2005 330xi. Please help if you can thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sounds like you bent/warped the rotor.
No chance. The screwdriver would be ripped apart before the rotor gets warped by it. What else did you take apart?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you pop the center cap out of the wheel, mount the wheel, drop the car back on the ground then tighten the axle nut?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No chance. The screwdriver would be ripped apart before the rotor gets warped by it. What else did you take apart?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you pop the center cap out of the wheel, mount the wheel, drop the car back on the ground then tighten the axle nut?
I replaced a boot on the axle so the axle was out. Aside from that, nothing else was really dismantled. Disconnected the sway bar on one side. Checked everything to do with the suspension and it looks fine. As for why I didn't torque the nut on the ground, I have been asking myself that non stop now for about 6 hours. Tbh I hadn't removed an axle before and I used the screwdriver trick before, only to remove the bolts to the differential.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,031 Posts
What brand axle? (Can't set strike through text using my phone??)

Nevermind, you just replaced a boot ...

Get the wheel off and inspect the rotor for any issues or runout.

Also check your tires for any nails or screws lodged in the threads. I've had that throw off balance before, although usually it doesnt.

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
4,860 Posts
I don’t think it’s the screwdriver maneuver to be honest. I did the same when I replaced my rear wheel bearings and it was fine. The screwdriver was between the rotor vanes and the caliper bracket, both very sturdy platforms.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don’t think it’s the screwdriver maneuver to be honest. I did the same when I replaced my rear wheel bearings and it was fine. The screwdriver was between the rotor vanes and the caliper bracket, both very sturdy platforms.
I figured it was the brakes because of the way the brakes were malfunctioning. Could be the axle I guess I just can't fathom what.

·
Registered
26,059 Posts
I'm trying to think if you could have hit part of the parking brake assembly. You adjust it by sticking a screwdriver in through a lug hole. You may have broken it, adjusted it, mildly damaged it (my guess).

If you haven't removed the rotor and looked yet, I would.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,133 Posts
Disassemble the brakes on the side with the "screwdriver" . Carefully inspect the brake carrier. If need be also yank the other side and compare the two.
This is assuming (as someone else eluded to) you performed no other brake work?

Is the noise you hear possibly the ABS/DSC activating for whatever reason?
Master cylinders really don't make much noise, other than the plunger going in/out and the faint sound of fluid being displaced.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all, after more researching and staring at my car I think I've found the culprit, or at least it seems very likely. Yes it is the braking system, but no it wasn't the screwdriver move that did it. When hammering the axle into the hub I briefly used a pry bar against the back of the outer CV joint. I only hit it there a couple times because I saw it was driving a groove into it so I stopped. What i didn't realize is that there is a ring around the joint that the abs system uses. This ring came loose and appears to be damaged now. There was a lot of corrosion too so it didn't take much to dislodge and damage it. I dont know much about the abs system but I think this may be it. Check out this photo, you can see how the ring got nudged forward. Moving it back doesn't work, it's too loose.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If it's not moving at a corresponding speed with the other 3 +/- 1.2% the ABS/DSC system will intervene.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You're going to need another axle.
Also check the sensor for having been rubbed on by that reluctor wheel.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,031 Posts
Damn that sucks ... unforunately there is no notch or other area on the outer joint to hammer on with a pry bar like many other cars have. I don't know if there is another safe way to do it, but I picked up a drive axle puller tool off of ebay to deal with stubborn axle splines like this:

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,031 Posts
Ah dam really? Just because of the ring? Is it because it is so precisely made?
I think it's because the ring isn't lined up any more with the wheel speed sensor and so the abs system thinks that wheel is turning at a different rate than the other wheels, thus triggering the abs system. THAT is likely the cause of the rumbling/vibration you are feeling. This would likely happen on any car if that ring was damaged or moved out of position.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
FYI an xi can use the same rear axle as RWD, just did it on a friends 330xi. Got one for $40 out of a bone yard.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Very sensitive.
How many teeth on that ring?
Home many revolutions per mile and at what speed.
You'll have your Freq. Hz if you do the math.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very sensitive.
How many teeth on that ring?
Home many revolutions per mile and at what speed.
You'll have your Freq. Hz if you do the math.
I believe it's 48. I pulled my ABS sensor and sure enough it was scored up pretty good. This was a double whammy screw up. Lesson learned: don't hammer on things you think you shouldn't hammer on. I'm gonna try a ring from this supplier: ABS Reluctor Rings - BMW cars. I dont have good access to salvage yards where I live. The only ones open don't have the part. If that fails it's to ebay I go then for an axle.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
How's the sensor? The one section of the reluctor wheel (~4-5 O: Clock) looks lifted. Did it rub against the sensor?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts