BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys -- I recently had the dealership replace front bushings. The service guy said that in addition to the new bushings, they swapped the front struts side to side. Now the left front is riding higher than the right front and on these Dallas crested roads it is driving me crazy. Should I ask him to swap them out again or should I go for H&R lowering springs. I liked the ride the way it was before because the left front was perfect for these crested roads. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't imagine something with the CAB install that would cause the ride height to change. I still don't see how they can swap struts from side to side either, but I am sure someone out there knows more than I...

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
What you talkin bout Willis? Struts are handed. Right is not the same as left. Either you misunderstood what they said or the shop don't know crap!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yup I'm crazy too

You are right, I may not have heard the service tech say 'swap struts', but that is evidence that I am going crazy with this situation. And with at least three phone calls, the answer to this question is 'NO'. You cannot swap strut assemblies in a wholesale manner or even struts. I will say this. People have told me that if the left front is higher than the right front by 1/4 inch that I could not feel the difference as being 'low right front'. However, if it is a dampening problem on that right front shock, then I might interpret what I was feeling as 'low right front'. It definitley feels and handles linke it is low and it also feels 'dead'. In fact the whole right side of the car felt like it was leaning to the right. So I replaced the right rear shock and shock mounts. Now my attention is not going to the right rear, but is focused on the right front. I am thinking it is the shock, the upper shock mount and maybe spring pads that need replacing. I will have that done in a few days. My other question for you guys who have hit the bullseye on this...If the LCABs are shot, maybe the LCABs were not even present in the housings -- would this have a tendency to lower the front end? Again, if you measured the ride height on both front sides, then raised the car, cut out or removed the LCABs, then lowered the car and remeasured the ride height, would this result in a change in the suspension geometry such that it would have a lowering effect? Chime in now guys and teach me about this geometry thing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If the LCABS were not present, you would have a lot more problems than that. I would focus on the front strut issue if that is what you are feeling. Also, push down really hard on the front fender on both sides and see how the car rebounds. Are there differences in the two sides?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Never change just one shock or strut! How many miles on your present shocks/struts? Sounds like you need all four replaced! These cars normally sit a little lower on the right side. If it's much lower, a spring may be broken.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts