E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done several searches in every permutation I can think of. Found a few leads that seem to say this is normal, but I just want to be sure.

I took my struts/springs/top hats to an indy shop down the street to have them compressed and assembled so I can take out the old assemblies and just put in the new without fussing with compressing/changing etc. I was replacing 90% of the assemblies anyway.

They're having a hell of a time getting the springs on the struts as the strut rod is short. Have others run into this? OEM sport struts and springs. Do they just need to really fully compress the springs to get the assembly together? They do have a wall mounted press. This is really starting to p*** me off as I need these for tomorrow. It should have been a 20 minute job with a real press, that was the reason I went this way with it.

Please, any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-DPF

·
Registered
0 Posts
Compressing spring for front strut

Any word on this? in looking at the parts I was sent in my h&r touring cupkit, its seems near impossible to get the strut rod to clear the spring even if the spring was FULLY compressed! Did your guy figure this out? I was thinking I was sent the wrong parts, but not the case. I wish someone had pics of a full install of one of these, but having a hard time finding anything with a search.

Thanks much,
-Ryan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently purchased an H&R cup kit myself and found the same issue. The fix is that you need to use a spring compressor that is made for lowering springs. That is the only way. I compressor for regular springs does not apply enough pressure to get lowering/sport springs mounted on the strut. That is the way I was able to get them on. :pimpin:Hope this helped...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.