E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 330XI Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<Edited to add picture>
Hi,
I am going to replace my front struts due to age. I'm looking to add strut reinforcement plates to minimize mushroom'ing. Has anyone installed these? If so, do these reinforcement places go between the strut mount and the body of the car? I.e. strut mount -> reinforcement plate -> sheet metal -> nuts? Or strut mount -> sheet metal -> reinforcement plate -> nuts?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The reinforcement plates go on top of the strut mount under the tower. For maximum strength, add a strut tower brace on top. This sandwiches the weak area between two thicker plates as well as joining the strut towers together.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 330XI Auto
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reinforcement plates go on top of the strut mount under the tower. For maximum strength, add a strut tower brace on top. This sandwiches the weak area between two thicker plates as well as joining the strut towers together.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. Any idea if the bolts on the strut mount would be long enough if I were to install the reinforcement plates and a strut tower brace?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,145 Posts
Can be an issue at times. Depends on who's brace. The factory one with the special nuts (expensive, same as on M3) reach down inside...

·
Premium Member
2000 328i ZSP Manual
469 Posts
Thanks for the info. Any idea if the bolts on the strut mount would be long enough if I were to install the reinforcement plates and a strut tower brace?
I have the front plates and the Bavauto front strut brace and the bolts are long enough. I have the OE Lemfoerder front strut mounts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts