E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed strut bar. It can be tightened by either shortening it - strut towers pulling it, or lengthening it - strut towers pushing it. My question is: Are strut towers mostly support pushing up force or pulling down force from suspension? If it's mostly for pushing up force, I'd want my strut bar to be pushed. If it's pullling down force, I'd want my strut bar be pulled/stretched.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,376 Posts
I'm not a mechanical engineer but it would seem logical that the struts would be pushed up. If you think about it, when you lean into a corner your cars weight is pushed onto the shock. Which pushes up against the shock tower. I have seen pictures of corroded shock towers where the shock literall busts through...

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I'm no expert...

... but I'd venture a guess that you don't induce either push OR pull on installation. It would seem that you adjust for neutral with the suspension loaded (on the ground) in normal static condition. Then, when the car is under the stress of cornering, the brace keeps twisting to a minimum and keeps normal geometry keeping the inside wheel on the ground as best as possible.

Anyone out there with real expertise that can validate this or put me straight???

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, any experts out there?
You see, there are three bolts on each strut tower. Are they supposed to hold strut to down??
While I was installing strut bar, I turned wrench in wrong direction and snapped one of the bolts! I'm such an idiot!! :banghead:
So I'm trying to get it repaird. Do you know if it's easy/hard to fix? how much can it cost?

·
Der Meisterstück
2,471 Posts
i6power said:
Yeah, any experts out there?
You see, there are three bolts on each strut tower. Are they supposed to hold strut to down??
While I was installing strut bar, I turned wrench in wrong direction and snapped one of the bolts! I'm such an idiot!! :banghead:
So I'm trying to get it repaird. Do you know if it's easy/hard to fix? how much can it cost?
Dude, those nuts keep your strut in place. You should use a torque wrench when doing this.

Strut tower bars are just for keeping the front suspension geometry to as closes as neutral (static state) as possible. No Push or Pull, we're not setting up Sprint cars or Nascars around here.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrMotorwerk said:
Dude, those nuts keep your strut in place. You should use a torque wrench when doing this.

Strut tower bars are just for keeping the front suspension geometry to as closes as neutral (static state) as possible. No Push or Pull, we're not setting up Sprint cars or Nascars around here.
Yeah I know. But I must have been drunk or serious distracted or something. It happened when I used torque wrench to unscrew it. I turned clockwise instead of counterclockwise. I kept going 1.5 turns without realizing it was wrong direction. then it just snapped.
It's at the shop right now being looked at...

·
www.my330i.com
1,907 Posts
You can replace just the bolt in the strut hat. They are like wheel studs and can be pounded out and replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts